Chapter 14, Hurt

• Dedicated to Luna Minnaar

Helloooooo people! Thanks agsin for the immense milestone of 10.000 reads! God bless you all! I'm sk incredibly grateful and oh so proud! A big shoutout for my friend Mahaar, who supports me no matter what, baby, thanks! Another thanks to Luna, you're crazy but so amazing! I love all your alternative ends for the story, but some of them are just a tad too weird! I won't bother you any longer, here it is, Chapter 14!! 

XxX

Chapter 14, Hurt

Esme slowly took a hesitant step forward. A cold breeze blew through the room. I shivered and gazed at the window. Esme followed my glance and she walked to the window and closed it. I smiled gratefully. She gave me a small smile back. She pulled out a chair and put it beside my bed. She folded her hands in her lap and looked at them. We both didn't know what to say. I knew she thought she had done something wrong, but I felt that I had did something wrong. Maybe both of us were wrong. Maybe none. It remained silent. She didn't look up from her hands. Her caramel curls were hiding her face, as a curtain. Slowly I stuck out my hand and took her hand in mine. She looked up at me. I still didn't know what to say, to somehow make up my deeds. To somehow show that I was sorry. To tell her that I was an irresponsible, stupid fool. That I didn't deserve it all, and that it wasn't her fault.

"Esme, I don't know what to say...I don't know how to make up with you..." I said, my voice broke, and showed how helpless I was.

She looked at me intensely. "What do you have to make up to me?"

"For acting dumb, for acting stupid, for bringing my dad into this all." I said, ashamed.

"Oh Evenlyn, don't tell me that you feel sorry! You're in this position because of me! I didn't even see that he slammed the knife into your calf. And now you're hurt and it's all my fault!" She let out a sob and hid her face in her hands.

"Esme, look at me." She slowly looked up. "I'm not hurt. I'm not broken. I didn't die. I'm still here because of you and your family. You taught me how to be strong. To not listen to whatever he says. How to be loved. You showed me love. I can't tell you how incredibly grateful I am!" She sighed.

"Evenlyn, I can't help feeling guilt. I saw him nearly killing you but all I did was stand there as you were fighting for your life! I just stood there!" She sounded desperate.

"Listen. It wasn't your fault, I can't help that my dad has a twisted mind, I can't. But what I can do is embrace the people who do truly love me. You, Carlisle, Edward, Nessie, Rose, Em, Alice, Jasper, Bella. And that is exactly what I'll do, okay?" I said. She let out of a sigh of defeat.

"Thanks.." She said. I hugged her.

"It's okay, just don't blame yourself for this all, okay?" She nodded slowly. As if on cue the sun broke through. A small smile played on Esme's lips. Carlisle came in.

"Glad to hear you made up." He said.

"You heard?" I said, frowning. He shrugged.

"I think we all did. You don't have much privacy in this family." He said. "How's your calf?" He slowly unwrapped the gauze in which it was rolled. It revealed an ugly looking wound, it was all pinkish and the skin was torn. I really was dumb. I mean, how can you get hurt so many times in a row? The edges of the wounds were frayed. And the smell was horrifying. I wanted to throw up. I looked away.

"It actually looks very good!" Carlisle said, sounding pleased. I frowned.

"That looks good?" I said. He nodded.

"It's healing." He said simply. Sure.

"Can I stand on it yet?" I asked, wanting to leave this room.