Chapter 9,The Talk

Chapter 9, the talk

Esme guided me up the stairs, making sure that I wouldn't fall and tumble all the way down the stairs. That would be embarrassing. I hadn't been here before. The nursery, that was how Alice had called it, was on the third floor. On the second floor there were loads and loads of doors and I wanted to know what was behind them. Esme walked over to the door at the end of the corridor and knocked gently.

"Come in!" That was Carlisle's melodic voice. Esme opened the door and what behind it was half a library half study. Wow. There walls were covered in books, old looking, very, very thick books. There was a wooden polished desk which Carlisle was sitting behind. A book with about 1000 pages in front of him. Did he read it all? Wow.

"Yes, of course." He said. Esme sat down in one of the chairs in front of his desk. I followed her lead. I was a little nervous about what they wanted to talk to me about. It kept silent so I decided to break it.

"Was there something you wanted to talk about?" I said, soft though. My voice never seemed to be loud, always just a hush, but the Cullen's were always able to hear me clearly.

"Yes, actually there was.." Esme started, but she looked at Carlisle, trying to rescue herself.

Carlisle took over, of course. "Well, we wanted to talk about how to go on after this all."

Oh God, this was it. Of course it wouldn't last forever. I had known it subconsciously. I would go back to him. I could barely keep myself from letting the tears pour down my face, but I had to keep strong. Keep my dignity. This just isn't the moment to look weak. I would save my tears for a better moment. Probably the nights, the nights without my dad. Someway I knew that there wouldn't be many nights alone. A shiver ran down my spine. I thought of my plan, the plan that I had made in the dark. I would go home and somehow kill myself. I wouldn't ever go through that hell again. No never. I would have to decide how to do it. Jump off a cliff? Drug myself? A knife? A gun? Should I cut my wrists?

"Yeah..." I said.

"Evenlyn...." Uh-oh.. the tone...This was it. I knew that it was pretty to be real. I fought with all my strength against the tears.

"I know...." I said, choking in my tears. A big lump was in my throat. I blocked out all the unwanted visions I had of being back at home, in my with blood stained room. The tears burning in my eyes.

I just had to say something as they just looked at me. "I'll leave now then." I whispered. I prepared to get up but Esme pushed me back down again.

"Evenlyn, honey, we don't want you to leave." They didn't? I was confused? In a bad or good way?

Carlisle took over. "Evenlyn, we want to adopt you" My memory went blank. Me?

"You want to adopt ME? But.. but.. but I'm nothing. I’m not worth becoming part of your family...you don't need me, right? I....I..I wanted to die right?" I didn't notice that I was thinking out loud until I saw their shock when I said I wanted to die. My lip quivered and I didn't notice I was crying until I felt a tear drop in the palm of my hand.

"Evenlyn, you are not nothing, you are everything. We are not letting you go back to that" Carlisle's hand formed a fist. "to that monster again. We want you to be a part of our family, Evenlyn." I looked up at him in wonder. They cared for me. It wasn't a question, it was a statement. The tears I had held so long, all those years, fell from my eyes. The walls I had built, which helped me through another night, crumbled. I started to tremble. All those emotions were going through my head. Confusion, love, joy so much emotions. Esme wrapped her arms around me.

"Oh, Evenlyn.." She said hugging me tight against her chest. Carlisle stood up, carefully eyeing my reaction, and slowly took the steps towards me. But I couldn't worry for a moment. I would finally belong somewhere.