12: His Cold Heart

Crow Jasper rushed down the corridors of the Necromancer temple. He was looking for Cleric Wreath and the High Priest. Necromancers shuffled along the corridors muttering about the glory of death and so on. Crow liked these corridors. They were dark and damp and dank. Crow had been studying Necromancy for centuries. He enjoyed learning about the magic and the sacred rules and legends and stories. He found them very interesting.

Crow had met October before the war. At the time she was a very powerful Elemental and Energy Thrower. She obviously would be powerful if she had Skulduggery Pleasant, Erskine Ravel and Ghastly Bespoke teaching her one and Dexter Vex the other. She had once said that she would love to learn Necromancy. She knew what the Passage was and she knew what had to happen in order for it to happen. She didn't agree to it. Neither did Crow, at the time. But times had long ago changed.

When he thought she had died, Crow believed that many others did deserve to perish too. He loved her, but she was always stuck in between Dexter Vex and Solomon Wreath. He envied both men because of this. Crow Jasper knocked loudly on High Priest Tenebrae's office door. He was let in by Cleric Quiver, a man of barely any words.

"Crow, what a surprise. We haven't seen you for a while. " Said the High Priest.

"I have been out and about. I have come here with news, good or bad, I'll let yourself and the Clerics to decide." Said Crow.

"What is it then, Jasper?" Tenebrae asks.

"October Pleasant is alive and well." Said Crow warily looking at Wreath.

Solomon Wreath was hit with a wave of anger. Wreath grabs Crow's collar and pins him to the wall. "You do not, ever, talk about October. Serpine killed her. She is dead and I loved her. Do not mock me, Crow. I could kill you right here and right now." Wreath snarled.

"Cleric Wreath, let him go and let him explain." Said Tenebrae.

"She came into my shop with Tanith Low for clothes. Said she was trying to stop Vengeous from bringing back the Faceless Ones. Then I found out that Serpine had tortured her and experimented on her for years. She was soon found after someone must have found out the truth about where she really was." Crow was released from Wreath's grip when the Cleric pushed Crow away and stormed out of the temple.

Wreath was going to find October Pleasant. He still loved her after so many years. Solomon Wreath was a heartless man who couldn't care for the vast majority of the human race, but October was definitely an exception. Wreath loved her will all of his cold heart.

October and Wreath used to go out secretly. This was before the war. They were young teenagers that were madly in love. She would have to sneak away from her home so they could see each other. Wreath was a happier man back then. Skulduggery strictly forbid her from going out with Necromancers. Skulduggery had always hated Necromancers. When the war had started, Wreath and October broke up because it was way too dangerous for them to be sneaking around and lurking in the shadows when you didn't know who was friend or foe. Both October and Wreath were heartbroken, but he thought that October hadn't lived long enough to truly miss Wreath as much as he had missed her. But in reality, she had. She was never killed. She had been tortured and experimented on by Nefarian Serpine for years before he was killed by Skulduggery.

Wreath hated Serpine for hurting October. He still does. But he also hates himself. He hates himself for not trying to find her, for not being with her through all of the torture, to have stopped the torture, to have held her for these past few hundred years. He wanted to be able to comfort her, to love her while being with her. But dear God did he love October Pleasant.

Wreath didn't know what to think about all of this. He would've gone to the Sanctuary, but Skulduggery and Valkyrie had been fired by Grand Mage Thurid Guild. The only other places that they would be is the Hibernian or Skulduggery's house.

He was lucky that he knew where both locations are.