Epilogue

* Remember when I said that if I don't say that a character is dead, they're usually not dead. I got you, guys! See what happens a year later and know that maybe, just maybe, this is hinting at a sequel. *

Epilogue 

One year later

“God, you’re restless tonight.”

The baby wails and wails, squirming all over his blue, silk covers. Gwen gently picks him up, flipping back rough, dark hair. She really wanted to sleep – she thought for sure that he’d be fine tonight.

Obviously not.

“Come on, Leo. Come on, baby.” She whispers to him, swaying from side to side, “Sh...” But Leo is persistent and will not give up until he gets what he wants.

She places him into the crib and wipes her forehead,

“...Hard work.” She mutters.

            Strutting to the kitchen, she notices that, suddenly, the hallway lights have begun to flash.

Flash.

Flash.

CRASH.

Gwen rushes to the kitchen only to find that the window is open, right over by the dish rack. A plate must’ve fallen off from all that force.

She sighs, placing a bottle of milk into the microwave.

It was nothing.

 In the background, Leo continues to cry. The aggression is his wailing never pauses; instead, it heightens.

“Sorry, baby, I’m coming!”

Gwen bangs on the microwave, willing it to speed up, but knows that this has absolutely no effect.

Hurry up.

10.

9.

8.

Footsteps in the apartment make Gwen’s heart race.

7.

6.

5.

It can’t be...

4.

And the whole place is plunged into a deadly silence.

3.

Gwen races down the hallway, bursting through Leo’s door, her face soaking with tears.

2.

“Leo?” She cries, frantically searching his crib. Every corner of the room, every piece of furniture, and even the wallpaper does not go unharmed.

1.

“LEO!”

Then finally, she spots a small note peeking out from underneath his pillow, and struggles to stand as she reads what it says:

Cheaters always win.”