Chapter Two

*Hey there; I tried really hard to make this [PG13] but at the same time, I wanted to keep the description for effectiveness. Let me know if you think I pulled it off!*

Two

 02nd of December

The mall is incredibly clear this early in the morning. But in less than an hour, there is no doubt that the masses will come pouring through the large, red front doors. Cole is setting up the central Information desk, his station. It suits him best - he likes helping people. His friends, all also employees in the mall, lean, sit and stand on & around the curved, polished table.

“Who’s looking forward to Christmas?” Brittany asks the boys & Natalie, in sing-song voice. Around this time, she was always extra happy, extra excitable and always smiling. Christmas was by far her favourite holiday. Probably because of all the presents, or maybe all the joy... Or maybe it was just the Holiday sex.

“Me!” Cole is first to say.

“Whoo!” Natalie’s cheers echo across the mall.

"It's my first one with Kevin." Brittany giggles. Natalie coos quietly and the boys cheer unexcitedly. Some things are better left unsaid, though, so Cole moves the conversation right along, to spare the awkwardness,

"Ok, so I'm setting you all a $50 minimum on my present this year."

"$50?!" Frankie squeals, his regular deep voice reaching a high-pitched soprano.

"Dude, you're getting $5 and a Band-Aid." Joe chuckles, "Same thing I give my Mom every year." 

"What's the Band-Aid for?" Natalie leans on Brittany to laugh, her stomach hurting.

"She cuts herself making dinner every year." 

"Oh, you mean slicing the turkey?" Brittany asks, assuming it's the sharpness of the knife, but no,

"Nope. It's the stuffing. It's always the stuffing." 

Everybody laughs at this; while other workers are switching on the machines and setting up shop, the group are relaxing and kicking back. There is no way they'll get in trouble, they're sure of it. Cole is practically related to the owner of the mall, so any friends of Cole's are a friend of the manager. That's why he is always going easy on them. 

Many of the other workers resent this, but none are brave enough to show it. One bad word and Cole could be off to the manager, and that would be a job lost. 

"God, that must be some deadly stuffing. Or is it the chicken? Is it inside?" Owen adds and adds, laughing loudly.

"Stuffing is soft! How..." Brittany and Natalie giggle in between words, unable to even finish their sentences.

How great it was to be so influential at work...

  The mall is almost completely silent when no one is talking. The only thing that can be heard in that time is the footsteps of all the other staff, the soft chatter of the other staff, and the soft whirring of the mall machines.

“I’ve thought long and hard abo-” Frankie begins, in his usual cool and calculating tone.

 Joe & Cole burst into laughter, cutting Frankie off, “You said ‘long and hard’!” Natalie laughs, slaps Cole playfully,

“Ew.” Brittany’s face screws up, “You guys are nasty.” She eventually cracks, and smiles, finding the funny side.

“Guys, grow up.” Owen tries to be rational, still laughing along though.