Part 13

Rae blinked her eyes to clear the cloudiness. It must be mid afternoon now. She lifted herself on to the palm of her hands and looked at Jai. Her hair now loose from the braid, filled with hay. He was still sleeping. Taking the opportunity, she stared at his face. A habit she's grown to enjoy.

She lowered her head and touched her lips to his cheek, his jaw. Softly, she ran her lips over the stubble of his growing beard. She felt his hand slide up her back but his eyes were still closed.

She touched her lips to the corner up his mouth. She felt him smile.

Jai guided her mouth to his. God he loved the way she tasted.

Footsteps echoed in the barn. "Jai? Are you in here?" Jess' voice called.

Rae laughed when he grunted. "She always seems to know when we're together."

Jai gave a short laugh. "Unfortunately."

Rae reached for his shirt she had tossed aside earlier and handed it to him. She blushed a little when his hand lingered on hers.

Footsteps were approaching. Jai got to his feet and helped Rae stand.

" Jai--" Jess gawked at them as they exited the stall. "Oh. Whoops."

Jai stretched and yawned. "What?" He scratched his hard stomach. "We took a nap."

"Hmmm. Sure. Okay. " Jess smirked at them. " Oh! I forgot. You're phone rang like 50 times. I think it was Dave, you're manager. "

She handed him his iPhone 6. Jai unlocked it. 7 missed calls. 6 messages. All from Dave.

" I should probably call him back. " Jai walked out of the stables.

He listened to the first message.

" Jai. I just received an invitation for you to a movie premiere in Newcastle. Please call me back ASAP if you are interested. "

Jai erased the first message and clicked on the 2nd.

"Jai, it is Noon. Please call me. I need to respond by 5pm."

Delete.

" Jai it's now 1:30pm. I know you're on vacation but... "

Dave was calling again. Jai answered.

*******

Jess shoved her hands into her back pockets and studied Rae.

Rae eyed her. " What? "

Jess was smiling at her. " Nothing, just glad you and my brother are getting on just fine. "

" Oh, well we're not exactly together. I'm... not really sure what we are."

Jai was walking back. "I have to go to a movie premiere tomorrow night in Newcastle." He put is phone in his back pocket.

" That's so great." Rae enthused. "What movie?"

Not that I would know since I don't watch TV. Rae thought to herself.

"It's an Australian Indie film called, The Wave. It's about a surfer that surfs the largest wave on record. "

Jess clapped her hands together. "That sounds so rad."

Jai turned to Rae. " Will you come with me? " He asked.

It took a moment for her to process what he just asked. Dread started to sink in. " Oh.. I don't know.. " She began.

Jess playfully punched her arm. "Come on Rae! It would be fun."