Part 4

Jai jogged along the beach, trying to replay in his head what had happened in the pasture. He had seen fear in her eyes as she pushed him back. Fear?

Why? She wasn't afraid when she wrapped her arms around my neck and pressed against me.

He shook his head as if to shake the image out of his mind. He stopped jogging to catch his breath. The waves crashed against his bare feet as he stared out at the horizon.

There is definitely something off about her. When she would panic at a simple question or get defensive pretty quickly. Even when she laughed it never reached her eyes.

She probably thought he wouldn't notice. Oh he did. He was going to find out what it was but he would take his time.

Rae was relieved that Jai didn't follow her into the stables. She didn't want him to see her cry.

She sat in one of the unoccupied stalls with her knees to her chest and her head in her lap, trying to catch her breath.

She didn't even know why she was afraid. Yes she was off guard when Jai kissed her but that's not why. She could still taste him on her lips. It's been a long time anyone had kissed her like that.

Oh she had loved it and wanted more. But it can't happen again. She sighed. She can't get close...

Jai is not him. She thought, wiping her face. You are safe here.

Feeling a little better she stood up and wiped the back of her shorts and went into the tack room to grab a pitch fork and turned on the radio. Country music played through the speakers throughout the stables.

Sighing, Rae started mucking the stalls. She was used to doing it by herself so she didn't mind. Eventually she would have to face Jai again and he will have questions.

It was almost 7 when Jai returned from the beach. Karen was in the kitchen making chicken tacos. Chris was in the family area watching some kind of antique car show.

At the sound of feet on the porch off the kitchen, Karen peaked through the window as she saw Jai rinsing of sand from his feet with the outdoor shower.

"Jai dinner is almost ready. I know you are probably hungry. "

He lifted his head toward the window and grinned. "I can smell it through the window."

" Well hurry up and get dressed. Your sister called. She will be here in a few days. "

Jai walked through the open door and kissed his mom on the cheek.

" I thought Jess wasn't coming home for another week or so. " He asked as he spotted freshly made keylime bars on the counter behind her.

Jai reached for one while her back was turned.

" Well, she said she wanted to spend more time with you before the wedding... " Without having to look behind her, she swatted his hand away.

" Not before dinner, boy! " She waved a wooden spoon in his face. Chris chuckled from the family room.

" It's pointless son. I've the bruise to prove it. " He said while rubbing his arm. A purple mark starting to form.

" Serves you right, Christopher. " She clucked.

Jai watched his parents bicker with a smile. He really had missed them. Even after almost 40 years being together they still enjoy each other.

Quickly, he walked down the hall towards his room. He glanced into Rae's room as he passed. Still empty and still clean.