THEN: Chapter 38

"What's meant to be will always find a way”  - Trisha Yearwood

Eden:

I told everyone pretty much the truth about me quitting my job – a customer had gotten too drunk and tried to grope me; when I slapped him in retaliation, I got fired. Most people expressed approval, and George was glad I was there to put him to bed at night again. I knew I needed to find more work, and although I got straight onto it, my search was fruitless and money was starting to get tight again. I took on more shifts at the coffee shop. Even with money as tight as it was, I still (stupidly) blew the cheque John had given me on birthday presents for George.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Geo-rge, happy birthday to you!”

George beamed as he blew out the candles on the cake Emma and I had made him; a huge Victoria sponge cake in the shape of a plane. George loved aeroplanes, and already seemed as keen on the idea of travelling as I was. I was determined that, one day, the two of us would do it. Leave all my worries behind and see the world.

The same day as George’s birthday party, Emma drew me into the kitchen while the adults were chatting over wine and biscuits and all the kids in George’s class were running around like maniacs, high on jelly and ice cream.

“Eddie, I have something to tell you”

“Mhm?” I was barely even listening; I was counting as I cut up the cake to make sure there were enough slices for everyone. But Emma grabbed my arm, fingers digging in, and when I turned to look anxiously at her her face was bright with excitement.

“Look”

She let go of my arm and held up her hand, wiggling her fingers so that the beautiful diamonds on her Tiffany ring glittered and sparkled in the light. I shrieked.

“OH MY GOD!!!!”

“Ssssh! Eddie, not so loud, I wanted to announce it properly, I just had to tell you f – “

“Oh my God, oh my God, oh shit - Ems!” I clapped my hand over my mouth, “You’re getting married

That last part came out in a muffled gasp, and Emma couldn’t help giggling. I grabbed onto her and we jumped up and down like kids, rejoicing in silent ecstasy. Then I pulled to a halt, hugging her hard, tears in my eyes.

“I’m so happy for you”

“Thank you. God, it was so embarrassing, I started crying when he proposed! I was just – it was so sudden and unexpected, I didn’t know what else to do!”

I laughed thickly, “You plonker”

“I know, right?! I felt like such an idiot” she drew out of the hug first, “Eddie, will you be my maid of honour?”

I couldn’t say anything for a minute or two; I just stood there, eyes wet, my smile trembling on my lips.

“Yes!” I cried at last, gripping her in another bone-crushing hug, “Of course I will, Ems. Of course I will”

**********************************************************************************************************

Emma persuaded me to go out to a nearby club for the two of us to celebrate New Year’s Eve several months later, just a few weeks before her wedding was due to take place. I think she was planning on it also being a kind of private hen night, for the two of us. I couldn’t really afford it, but I also couldn’t bear to say no. George liked the idea of staying over at Mum and Dad’s to celebrate, so I sent him off for a night of being completely and utterly spoiled before getting ready myself.

I hadn’t been on a night out in a long time, despite the nagging of my friends, and it took me a while to decide what to wear. I’d bought a beautiful blue sequin minidress in a fit of madness a couple of years before and never worn it – it seemed like the perfect time to road test it. Plus it looked good with my old silver stilettos, and it meant I didn’t have to call Emma and borrow something off of her.

I eyed myself warily in the mirror before leaving. I’d been so reluctant to join her, but now that I was actually ready I was beginning to get excited. My skin was tingling in a strange state of anticipation, my stomach churning. Something was going to happen that night. I just didn’t know what it might be.

Ollie:

To me, New Year’s Eve was no different from any other night anymore. I was spending it alone, just like any other time, when the doorbell rang. I’d dipped back into my Edgar Allen Poe collection – never a good thing to read alone at night – and I certainly wasn’t expecting company. I’d spoken to Dan on the phone the day before, and Harry had taken Deiming away for the weekend somewhere or another to celebrate.

“Surprise!”

Dan was standing on my doorstep, grinning, just as Josh had all those months ago, his partner Alex standing a bit more nervously behind him. And when I say Dan was standing, I mean he was actually standing – not a wheelchair in sight.

“Dan! What the Hell – your legs – you have legs?”

Dan rolled up his jeans, grinning all the wider, to show me his new metal limbs, glinting silver in the light from my room, “Meet my dear new friend titanium”

I laughed, loudly, and hugged him hard, “That’s great, Dan. Seriously, mate, I’m so pleased for you”

“I had to show you. I wanted it to be a surprise. You remember Alex, right?”

“Yep” I smiled warmly at him; although much more reserved than Dan, Alex had never been anything other than welcoming and friendly to me, and I liked the calming influence he had over my old Army mate, “Nice to see you again, Alex”

“You too. Sorry to just turn up like this, I did warn Dan that it might not be convenient – “

I snorted, “Oh trust me, I don’t do anything with my life these days. Any time is convenient”

They both laughed, clearly thinking I was joking.

“Well that’s one of the reasons we came here, actually. How do you fancy coming clubbing with us? We read about the one around the corner from you, it sounds great, and they’re doing loads of cheap deals on drink to usher in the New Year”

I grimaced, “Um...I don’t know...”

“Come on, Oz! It’s been ages since we actually went out someplace, it’ll be a good laugh. Plus it kinda looks like you need it”

I didn’t say anything, so Dan pushed past me and sat down on the sofa. Alex followed with an apologetic little smile.

“Ten minutes to get ready” Dan instructed cheerfully, innocently, before eyeing me up and down, “Actually, you might need twenty. Just hurry up, will you?”

**********************************************************************************************************

We’d been in the club for a couple of hours when I saw her.

I was actually having a really good time, and enjoying the company of both Alex and Dan. We made a toast to the friends we had lost, to my parents, discussed our plans for the year ahead – of which I had done and Dan had plenty. It was the happiest I’d been in a long time.

And then I saw her.

Beautiful as ever, more beautiful than I had remembered. Long golden hair, that intoxicating sway to her hips, those big brown eyes so full of hope and joy.

I couldn’t believe it. And yet, at the same time, I felt like I had always known it was going to happen. I had always known I was going to see her again someday.

As I moved towards her through the dancers, as though in a trance, I realised something that I never would have even thought about before.

I realised that perhaps I did believe in fate, after all.