XXIII ~ Resolution

Elise ran into her room, slamming the door and locking it with her key. Behind her, she heard Lisette pounding on the door.

"Please don't react like this! You can't do it just because Francis died!" Lisette yelled, on the verge of tears.

Elise looked out of the frosted window that had the sunset filtering through. She took a deep breath and sat on the bed.

"Elise? Do you hear me? Don't!"

Elise took something cold out of a drawer of the nightstand, weighing it in her hand.

Francis was dead. The one thing that ever gave her joy anymore was gone. What was left of her life was just going to be white noise. Nothing mattered anymore.

"Elise!!" screamed Lisette.

Ma chérie, she heard a familiar and ethereal voice say.

There's a world I know. A place we can go where the pain will go away...There's a world where the sun shines each day. There's a world out there; I'll show you just where, and in time I know you'll see...There's a world where we can be free... Come with us we'll be together forever. All your grief at last, at last, behind you.

She looked up from the cold object to her beloved husband. Beside him was Francis, beaming silently.

Take our hands, we'll lead you to salvation. Take our love, for love is everlasting. And remember the truth that once was spoken: To love another person of person is to see the face of God.

Elise smiled, a tear of joy trickling down her cheek. She was finally happy after all those years. She reached her hand and placed it in Enjolras'. She lifted up the cold object, the revolver, with her other hand and shot it.

(( Interesting. Elise dies in Chapter XXIII in my story while Enjolras dies in Chapter XXIII in Book 4 of Les Mis. And this is sheer coincidence ))