Ch. 18- Without You

Song: Without you by Breaking Benjamin

Dedicated to rojja_ for commenting, thanks <3

Enjoy!

___________________

Recap:

Ch. 17 – Shape of my heart Joel confronts Eliza about her fight with Rebecca, which makes Eliza believe that Joel and Rebecca really are a couple. Joel is talking to Xander about Eliza and how he wants to love her, but can't because of the guild. He weighs his options. And decides that he will leave the guild if that is what it takes to win Eliza's heart.

Joel’s POV:

Eliza hadn’t left me. Well, she had, but not by her own accord. And she hadn’t killed my roommate to make me angry, but because she was jealous!

And then I had gone and told her that there was no reason for me not to hate her. What had I done?  How did I manage to ruin my only chance with the most perfect girl in the world?

What would I do if I didn’t have Eliza? Where would I go? What would my life become? I would be alone, broken and searching for the answers I had known all along. I had lost Eliza, and she had taken a part of me with her. I did not know how big that part was. But I knew where it was. And I knew that I needed it back.

Daniel’s POV:

“He thought you left him.” I said. Eliza sniffed and looked at me curiously. She had no idea what he was talking about. “Joel, he thought you had played him, that’s why he was mad.”

She sat on my bed looking at the spot where I had been a few seconds ago. I hadn’t knocked, I hadn’t done anything special. I just opened the door softly and told her, and then I just left. I walked down to Benjamin’s room. I knocked and waited for an answer. I wondered briefly if he had noticed me walking away with Joel. It didn’t really matter. I had the right to protect my sister, and that was what I was doing. Protecting Eliza.

I sighed as I thought about her, my wonderful sister. She had always been there for me when I needed her, and when I refused to admit that I needed her. I guess that was just the way she was. If she loved you she would do anything to keep you safe, she would even risk her own life. She was stupid. She had run away with humans. She could have been convicted for that. Vampires had laws. Not that they were needed often, but they were still there.

I walked along the dark halls, searching. Looking for Benjamin. I was thinking. Thinking about Eliza. I knew that I wouldn’t have lasted ten minutes without her. If I had challenged anyone but her, I would have been forgotten some time in the 8th century. I couldn’t fight, I had never been taught properly. And anyone else than Eliza would have killed me, but she took care of me. She made sure that nobody hurt me, or killed me. If it weren’t for Eliza I wouldn’t have lasted ten minutes in anything. And now Eliza was hurting. It was my job to help her.

After many deep and serious thoughts I finally found Benjamin. He was in the library, looking at the old books of law and justice of the Vampiric Kingdom.

“We need to talk.” We said it in unison as he turned around to look at me. He motioned for me to sit down on one of the leather chairs scattered around the room. I sat down and he seated himself in a chair opposite of me.

“It is about your sister. I worry about her.” He said slowly. Looking directly at me. His eyes were a yellowy green and seemed to look straight through you, but right at you at the same time. It seemed like he could see straight into my soul. He looked young, only about twenty. He had black hair with a few purple highlights and a slight sprinkling of black stubble on his chin and throat. He looked like a typical, but very stylish and handsome, guy. But I was one of the few people who dared to treat him as though he was normal. And to be honest, I think he was thankful for not always being feared and hated.