6

Say hello to all my little nightmares,
They're right here
I know them well
- kicking and screaming ,, all time low

Pain.

Adrienne never really was good with pain. Physical nor emotional. But now, with the pain racking her entire body, she was more exhausted than she was hurt.

She felt numb for once. It was nice.

Brown eyes stare at the sleeping form on her lap. She thanked every single god up above that michael was drunk because she was certain that michael won't remember a single thing when he wakes up.

Bruises littered her body and she was crying. Her brother, calum, was stuck inside their house and adrienne had no other way in to save him.

And goddamn she wanted to save her little brother.

She wanted to protect her little brother from every harm but she was recently unable to do so. She hated it. She wished she was the one getting hurt right now. Not her little brother.

"Oh, hey adrien- whoa what happened to you?" She looks up to see ashton with a satchel over his body. He was wearing a band shirt and some skinnies. His eyes fall to michael and they widen, he immediately removes his satchel from his body throwing the bag carelessly to the floor. He kneels down next to his unconscious friend "what happened to michael?"

"He was drunk, i think he got locked out, he showed me this." She hands ashton the paper and ashton shakes his head.

"Michael you sod." Ashton mutters "thanks for staying with him, addie."

Adrienne nods and smiles.

Ashton starts carrying michael. He didn't have any difficulty doing so. He hands adrienne the keys and she unlocks the door, opening it for him. Ashton carries michael over to his room and lies him down there.

The two let michael sleep as they left the room, closing the door behind them.

"Okay what happened to you?" Ashton asks the girl with a worried expression taking in her battered form "is he still-"

"He's still in pain, ashton, i understand." Adrienne cuts the boy off before he ends up telling. Ashton rolls his eyes.

"Addie its been what, fourteen years? And yet he's still doing this. This isnt right. You can't cover his tracks forever." Ashton mutters "why don't you just put him in jail where he belongs?"

Adrienne turns sad because people never really understand.

They don't understand that no matter how abusive he gets she still remembers what he was back when calum and her were four and six year olds. Plus, she wants to protect calum. She knew that despite all the crimes the man would still go to jail for only a limited time, and when he was out he would seek revenge on her and her brother.

But instead of saying all this to her childhood friend she merely shrugged. Ashton nodded. He understood adrienne in some way. Before the death the man was a kind one, always smiles, and treated ashton almost like a son ever since ashton's father left him and his mother, but the thing is pain changes people and pain changed him to an extent where it was bad.

"Go, addie, i know you won't want michael to see you like this." Ashton says "say hi to calum for me, yeah?"

"He broke calum's bass." Adrienne mutters and sighs, letting her fatigue consume her and buries her head in her hands "i just wanna protect calum."

Ashton just pulled her into a hug because yeah ashton was kinda good with words but adrienne didn't need them right now and all she needed was some comfort and ashton gave her just that.