Chapter 10- Manners Aren't My Forte

“What are you doing?”

          “Nothing,” he shrugged.

          “Stop it,” I commanded, whacking his hand away.

          “Stop what?” He asked me innocently.

          “Stop poking my face you asshole, I’m tired!”

          “Is that your favorite word?”

          “What word?”

          “Asshole,” he said simply. What was he talking about? Oh wait, I have been cussing quite a lot lately.

          “I guess it is,” I smiled. He grinned back at me.

          “Amelia,” a new voice asked. I snapped my head towards the caller. I gave Victoria small smile that she overlooked. “Your father is back.”

          “That’s great,” I said sarcastically.

          “He wishes to speak to you.”

          “When I was nine I wished that I could stay long enough for my friend’s birthday. You want to know what I got? A plane ticket to go see my father-for three years,” I said to her, adding the last part bitterly.

          “Just go, Mia,” Alex told me quietly. I scowled at him before walking away. When I passed Victoria I turned back to her snapping, “Are we going or what?”

          She nodded before walking ahead of me, as swiftly as her little heels would allow.

          “Play nice, princess,” Alex called after me.

          “Why whatever are you talking about? I always play nice,” I said with fake shock. I basically had to jog to catch up with Victoria. Who knew someone could more so fast in heels?

          “So-o-o,” I started after a few minutes of awkward silence- or at least awkward for me, “do you know what he wants to talk to me about?”

          “No idea,” she replied nonchalantly. We fell into silence yet again. The only noise coming from either one of us was the sound of our feet hitting the wooden floors. Suddenly she thrust her scrawny arm out in front of me. Good thing she did that or else and not warn me or else I wouldn’t have even stopped. (My sarcasm is present.)

          “He’s right in here,” she said while reaching for the handle of a sturdy looking door. I stepped inside the room, muttering a thank you as I passed her. The door shut so quickly that I had to check that no strands of my hair got stuck in the closed door, just in case. Looking around the room I noticed the many shelves filled by books in languages that didn’t even seem to be used by this world. On the back wall was a foot to ceiling window with and amazing third floor view of the courtyard in the front of the mansion. Plopped in a chair behind a dark cherry wood desk was a brown haired man with his nose buried in a book.

          “You needed to speak with me,” I said. My father’s body jumped and his head sprung up due to my “sudden” appearance. He cleared his throat, closing the book that tangled his interest.

          “Yes, have you been outside the mansion at all since you’ve gotten here?” He asked, moving around the desk to sit on the corner.

          Ew, he was wearing dress pants.

          “I’ve been out on the deck and in the forest, but other than that, no,” I answered.