Ch.2 Summers Past

//Author's note: hello, super excited that you've continued reading, I've put songs at the beginning of each chapter that go along with the story, and they even may foreshadow what's to come ;).

Thanks for reading,

Maddie//

Our beach house was a looming thing intruding on the beach. The only thing that separated it from the sand was the boardwalk which always seemed to host an interesting parade of characters.

Once you were inside the home it opened up to a double grand staircase with a large chandelier. Off to the side was the kitchen and living room with a glass wall that could open up to let in the sea breeze. Down stairs was where my parents and the Rutherfords slept. If you headed up the grand stair case you would find Luke and Leo's  room. At the very end of the hall was two bedrooms ; mine and the Rutherford's exchange student.

My bedroom was my sanctuary. My only get away from our always hellish vacations here. I had demanded that I decorate it my self. I made this room was my own.

The walls were the color of the sea. A large white canopy bed sat in the middle with a leafy bed spread and ghostly curtains surrounded it . There was built in shelving all around holding my favorite books and my records ( I was never one for CDs ). Outside was a balcony small enough for me to sit and play my guitar in the crisp air at night. In the corner of my room was a large full length mirror.

looking back at me was a girl with large eyes and untamed hair. I faced away from the mirror.

While I was out on the balcony I saw a big Rolls Royce convertible pull into the garage.

Mrs. Rutherford was a thin and frail looking woman who was at one time very beautiful before her face had been poked and prodded by doctors.

Mr. Rutherford was a short and surly man with salt and pepper hair and a greasy smile.

Every year they "adopt" a lucky foreign exchange student to spend the summer here.

last year they brought Mario, from Italy . He was cute and charming. with long defined arms and curly chocolate hair at seventeen he was a hearthrob.

About halfway through last summer after I had felt we were experiencing some chemistry, I made a move which led to some quiet make-outs.  I finally  decided to be the initiator. when I admitted my feelings for him. 

He responded "I do not like you in this way, it was fun but, I have other women waiting at home,"

The worst part was I could hear him gab all night to his Italian friends and from what I picked up, I heard my name come up multiple times along with "puttana".

That was the end of my first whirl-wind romance.