Possessed - Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Devon

I woke up with the worst headache and a sharp pain in my chest and arm. Groaning, I forced my eyes to open. The room I was in was dark, with only a dim light on beside me. Hospital. It smelt clinical like a hospital.

What happened? I tried to remember but everything was blank. My parents sat in two seats beside me, whispering and holding hands. “Mum,” I said and my throat burned. I needed water. They both snapped to me.

“Devon, oh sweetheart,” Mum sobbed. “Are you okay, darling? We were so worried.” She stroked my hair. “Go and get a doctor,” she instructed dad. He shot up and with one long glance at me – making sure I was really awake – he left the room.

“Water?”

“Oh.” She turned around and poured me a plastic glass of water from a jug. “Don’t try and sit up, you have three broken ribs and a concussion. I’ve got straws.”

Wow no wonder I’m in pain. Suddenly it call came flooding back, crashing into my mind like a memory tsunami. Going to Spencer’s parents house. Preparing to be locked up for a second exorcism. What happened to make me end up in here?

“Where’s Spencer?”

Mum’s smile fell. “He’ll be back soon. What do you remember, sweetheart?” Mum hadn’t used so many pet names for me since I was a child. She must have been really worried.

“Um. I was walking with Spencer then I wake up here.” Zara must have taken over from there.

“You were out walking with him?”

“Yes. Why, what happened?”

“You fell from your window.”

The blood drained from my face. How Zara killed herself. “What?” I whispered.

“Spencer said you were in your bedroom and there was an accident. Dante fell and you tried to catch him.”

My heart started pumping so hard I could only hear the sound of my pulse. Dante. He was there. He fell too. “I… What? Dante? He…”

“Shh, sweetheart, calm down.”

The door opened and Spencer walked in with my dad and a doctor. I did a quick assessment of Spencer. He looked fine. “Where’s Dante?” I asked.

The doctor stepped in front of me. “Welcome back, Devon. I’m-”

I didn’t give a shit who he was I just wanted to know where by best friend was. “Where’s Dante?” I repeated, looking past the doctor to Spencer.

He gulped. “I’m so sorry, baby.”

Everything stopped and I was hurtling into the darkness.

I sat in bed and stared at a picture of me and Dante. We were lying back on the sofa. His arm was around me while mine was holding the phone out to take the picture. The last time I saw him was just before Peter tried to do the exorcism at Dante’s nan’s house. I didn’t even tell him I loved him before. I should have because he was my best friend and the most important person in my life. Now he was gone.

Since Spencer’s four words I’m so sorry, baby four days ago the physical pain from my injuries vanished. They were nothing compared to how I felt emotionally. Losing Dante was like losing a huge part of me. We were connected and I couldn’t imagine how I was going to live without seeing his smile or hearing his voice. He had so much to live for and now it was all gone because of Zara. Because of me. Because of Spencer.