Possessed - Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

“So he’s coming over now?” Dante asked, frowning deeply and laying back into the sofa cushions.

“Yes. I think he knows who it is. Well, Z anyway. He still seems genuinely clueless as to who Katherine is.”

“Oh come on, they have to be linked.”

I frowned. “Do they, though? We’re assuming it’s Katherine because she was the last person to live here before us.”

“Everything happened when we moved in here, Girl, if it wasn’t this house then why not haunt you before?” That was a good point. This house had to be the key, this was where it all started, and it started from the second we moved in.

“Maybe Z lived here before Katherine?”

“You’re clutching at straws now. Let’s just wait and see what lover boy has to say.”

I was worried about what Spencer would have to say. He clearly knew what was going on, or at least who I was talking about. My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach. What went on between him and Z? Was she an ex?

“What do you think he’s going to say?”

Dante shrugged one shoulder, his muscles flexed under his white jumper. “I dunno. I need a fucking beer, though, this is all…” he stood up, raising his arms. All pretty fucked up was what he was going to say, and it was.

I silently watched Dante pour me a glass of wine and pop the cap off a bottle of beer. The silence continued as we waited for Spencer, neither of us knew what to say. My heart stopped as I heard a knock on the door twenty minutes later.

“You ready to know what skeletons your boyfriend’s been hiding?”

I gulped. “No. Can you let him in? My legs feel like jelly.”

Dante got up without another word and opened the door. They spoke to each other but all I could hear was my own pulse. I had to know what was between him and Z, but I didn’t want to. I liked thinking our relationship was perfect – like any normal start.

“Hey,” Spencer said, taking the edge of the sofa facing me.

I debated whether I should just run away so I wouldn’t have to deal with whatever he was about to say. How bad was it? Had he done something to her, even unintentionally? Dante sat silently next to me but his mouth twitched, he was agitated at waiting even a second to hear what had gone on.

“Spencer,” I whispered, “please.”

Whatever it was, it was hard for him to talk about. He gulped, threading his fingers together. “When I was in high school I had a friend called Zara Jones.” Z. “That was all we were, friends. Well, to me anyway. She became… obsessed. At first she would just follow me and my friends around long after the girls broke away to do their own thing. She made extra effort to make sure she was sitting near me. It was manageable.”

“But?”

“But then she stared walking past my house, calling and texting me constantly and turning up outside my lessons. I thought once school had finished she would let it go. I went to a private sixth form – partly to get away from her and put some distance between us. But that didn’t work either. She was more determined to follow me and stay in my life than ever.”

“What happened to her?”

He bowed his head. “Things turned darker. She sent me locks of her hair, drawings of us together, even her underwear. Then I would get other things.”