Possessed - Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

 Devon

“Spencer,” I said, shaking his arm. How the hell did I end up at his place? His eyes flicked openand he say straight up, tilting his head to the side. “What is going on? How am I here?” The exorcism didn’t work. It couldn’t have if I didn’t remember coming here.

He licked his lips. “Devon?”

“Yes. What happened? Where’s Dante?” My heart sunk to my stomach. Where is Dante? He wouldn’t leave me after something like that.

“He’s okay,” Spencer said, pulling against his chest and stroking my hair. I heard the relief in his voiceand it made my heart race. He really did care about me; I just hoped I cared the same without Zara’s influence because Spencer was amazing. I did. I knew I did. “He’s at your place trying to get Peter to give it another go?”

“Give it another go?” Clearly it hadn’t worked but why was he trying to convince him?

Spencer scratched his neck and continued stroking my hair with his other hand. It was as if he didn’t want to take his hand off me. I liked itbut it scared me at the same time. What was Zara capable of that makes Spencer need to hold onto me?

“Well… Zara attacked-”

My eyes bulged. “Attacked?”

“He’s okay,” he said quickly. “We pulled her off himand he’s absolutely fine, apart from being a bit shaken up.”

Tears sprung to my eyes. Oh God she was hurting people now. “I can’t believe this. What’re we going to do?”

“We have a plan but we need your help.” I nodded. I’d do anything. “My parents have a panic room in their house.” He paused, anticipating a question but I’d been possessed by his stalker ex friend. There was nothing that would make me do a double take and need an explanation anymore. “I’ve arranged for them to go away and we want to put you in that room. Not you.” He sighed. “You know what I mean. I don’t want to lock you upbut Zara could have killed someone.”

I gulped. “I understand.” Locked up like a dangerous animal. I’d officially hit rock bottom. How long would it take too? What if Peter didn’t want to help anymore? No one could blame him if he didn’t but would that mean I’d be stuck locked up, being possessed occasionally forever? Would Zara move on if that happened? She wouldn’t have any need for me. I kept quiet; scared that Spencer would agree that our last option was to have me locked away indefinitely.

“I’m so sorry it didn’t work first time, Devon.”

“You don’t have to be sorry, it’s not your fault.” He raised his eyebrows, telling me he thought it was his faultbut he had no control over Zaraand he had no idea how damaged she was. “I promise you I won’t give up until this is all over.”

“When are you locking me… I mean Zara up?”

He looked to the floor and replied, “Saturday.”

“Well I have the rest of today and tomorrow to be somewhat normal then.”

“What do you want to do?” So we were going to pretend that everything was fine for now. I was okay with that. I wanted that. “We probably shouldn’t go out for too long.”

“Do you know when I’m Zara?” He shook his head, again not making eye contact. He didn’t have to be ashamed of that. Zara was cleaver and of course was going to pretend to be me when it suited her. “Okay we should work something out then, a way for you to know when it’s me and when it’s her.”