Possessed - Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

My eyes fluttered open, and fear gripped my throat. Shoving myself to a sitting position, I scanned the room. Where am I? I had never been here before. My breathing was hard and fast. How did I get here?

Somewhere outside of this large, modern bedroom I heard the clattering of pans and the distant sound of a kettle boiling. My heart raced. Why was I waking up here? I couldn’t make sense of it. Had someone, or something, brought me here?

On the back of the door hung a casual black jacket that I recognised. Spencer? The dread building in the pit of my stomach lessened a little. Why was I at Spencer’s, though? I was fully dressed in my pyjamas. They hadn’t been removed. Thankfully.

With my heart still racing a hundred miles an hour, I got out of bed and padded towards the door and pushed it open. Immediately in front of me, across the hallway, was another door and to my right was an archway, leading out into what looked like the main living area.

I gulped and walked out of the room. “Hello?” I called, regretting it instantly.

“Devon,” Spencer called back and then he appeared. “Hey, how’re you feeling?”

Shaking my head, I replied, “I don’t… what am I doing here?”

He smiled. “I’m making breakfast, come in the kitchen, and I’ll explain how I found you.”

“Found me?” I repeated, following him into a huge professional looking kitchen. All this just for him? “What do you mean you found me? Found me where?”

He gestured to the stools at the end of the island, where a fresh cup of tea was waiting for me. “After our date I met up with my brother. As we were coming out of a fish and chips shop I saw you, wondering the street alone and dressed in that,” he said, nodding to my pyjamas.

I was suddenly very aware of the thin silk that really left nothing to the imagination. My face heated. “Here,” he said, reaching for a dressing gown placed on the counter that was obviously what he’d picked out for me earlier.

“Thanks,” I replied, wrapping it around myself and doing it up tight. “So I was out alone? I don’t remember. The last thing I remember is getting into Dante’s bed.” Spencer stopped, his jaw tightened, and he raised one eyebrow. “It’s not like that. I…re-painted the woodwork in my room and didn’t want to sleep with the fumes,” I explained, preferring that to I was too scared of the ghost that’s haunting me.

“Right. Sorry, you don’t need to explain, you’ve already told me you’re just friend.” He continued making what looked like scrambled eggs. “You weren’t you. Clearly as you were out in pyjamas and had nothing on your feet. When I called your name you said ‘No. It’s not Devon, it’s me, Spence.’ Or something like that. You were sleep walking. I was going to take you home, but you didn’t have a key on you and you were freezing, my place was closer.”

I frowned and died inside of embarrassment. “Oh my God.” Wincing, I looked away from him. “I can’t believe I did that.”

“Hey,” he said, cupping my chin and making me look at him again. “You can’t help sleepwalking. You don’t have to be embarrassed with me.”

“I’ve never done that before. I don’t even talk in my sleep.” Dante would have definitely told me if I had, I would never hear the end of it. Had I been sleepwalking, though? Or was it Katherine?

“Well maybe it’s stress related. You’ve just moved into your first place, and you have a new job.”

“Yeah maybe.” I knew it wasn’t that. “I should call Dante.” Spencer handed me his mobile. “Thank you.”