Possessed - Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I was so grateful that Bree wasn’t in the office when I got back from lunch. She was hardly ever in with us now. It was a good thing; it meant I could talk openly to Frankie.

“It’s him,” I said, walking to my desk and sitting down in a daze.

Frankie frowned and looked up over her screen. “What’s who?”

“Freddy. He’s SM. His name is Spencer Morgan, Frederick is his middle name, and his brother calls him Freddy. Oh my God, it completely explains why I’m so attracted to him. There’s something going on with Katherine, or someone to do with Katherine, and Spencer.”

“Okay, we’re gonna need more coffee for this. I’ll make some and then you can explain everything.” She got up and left the room. Thankfully, not telling me I was a complete nut job.

Grabbing my mobile, I dialled Dante’s number. “Hey, Girl,” he said. “What’s up? You don’t usually call at work.”

“Freddy isn’t his real name. It’s Spencer Morgan.”

“Okay,” Dante said slowly, as if he was waiting for clarification.

“SM, Dante. Can’t you see? The letters I’ve been seeing everywhere are Spencer’s initials.”

He sighed. “Not this again, Devon. I can’t do this right now, I’m busy. Stop freaking out over nothing. You’ve gotta let this go.”

Why did I bother telling him? I knew he wouldn’t understand. “Right. I’ll speak to you later.”

“See you at home,” he said and hung up.

Frankie came back with too steaming mugs of coffee. She sat down said, “Okay, start from the beginning. How do you know his name is Spencer?”

Right, she didn’t know about lunch. “I ran into him in the deli and we ate lunch together-”

“Oh my God! You did?”

I held my hand up to stop her going any further. “Can we stick to the weird part for a minute, please? Anyway, he told me his name was Spencer Morgan and his brother calls him Freddy after his middle name. It has to be about him, doesn’t it?”

“I don’t think it could be anything else. All the strange stuff going on and how you feel about him, even though he’s practically a stranger. They can’t all be coincidences. Have you seen the initials anywhere recently?”

I shook my head. “Nope. I don’t know why. One minute it was everywhere I looked, and now, nothing.”

“Well perhaps whatever is making you see it doesn’t need to anymore. You’ve met him, even though you didn’t know it was him to start with. You know who it is.”

I gasped. “So there’s no need for me to be shown it now!” God it all made sense. A shudder ran through my whole body. This was real. No more speculating on what could be happening. It all made sense. It was happening. “What do you think could have happened?”

“This Katherine, do you know how old she was?” I shook my head. “So you’re only assuming that it has something to do with her, right? There’s no evidence.”

“Well no. But it all started in her old house and Mrs Bainman avoids talking about it as much as possible. Something definitely happened with Katherine, or someone to do with her.”

“This is all a bit of a head fuck,” Frankie said, and shook her head.

“It’s a major head fuck. Spencer and I are going out to dinner on Friday, though, so I’ll try and get something out of him.”