Chapter 9: Skeletons in their Closet

Not at all minding an escape out of the stuffy house, Akira agreed wholeheartedly with his brother-in-law's idea which canceled out anyone else's opinion. In a matter of minutes they all once again boarded the Escalade and followed the Kokuyo family's other vehicle, a Maybach 62 S, to the pier. Inside the Escalade, all was not as peaceful as the serene weather outside.

"Tenoh-san, I did not appreciate how you spoke to my niece this afternoon," Yuriko reprimanded.

Haruka swallowed her frustration as Kenro exclaimed, "Yuriko, Haruka-chan was protecting Michi-chan from that brat's words!"

"Even then, what she said was rude," the older Kaioh pointed out.

"And that brat wasn't rude for making fun of your daughter? She criticized everything Michiru-chan's ever done! She has to spit dirty comments to hide her jealousy and in the end, she didn't breathe an apology for starting the damn thing!"

"Kenro-san, please," Haruka interrupted. She did not want anymore family fighting for her sake. "That's enough." She looked at Yuriko with an unreadable expression and decided to punch her pride aside once again. "Kaioh-san, I am truly sorry for my acts this afternoon. I just acted through what I thought was right. Michiru-san doesn't deserve Kokuyo-san's vile comments. I know I acted wrongly by engaging in a banter with her cousin. I'll make sure to personally apologize to her and her parents about what I said during lunchtime."

Her voice was forced and steely, but Yuriko took it to heart and nodded while Kenro only frowned beside her, shaking his head in repetition.

"Thank you Tenoh-san that would mean the world to me."

Akira looked on, but didn't comment. Personally, he thought Haruka's biting words rang some if not all of the truth. There has yet been a visit to his wife's brother where he didn't ask for some money and although the elder Kaioh didn't mind giving, it became harder and harder each time as the fake respect for him grew and grew. He looked on at Haruka's frowning face and smiled. I need to give her a raise…To think she'd go this far for my daughter… I don't think she'd even do it for me! He laughed inwardly as Yuriko's voice took him out of his stupor.

"Tenoh-san, you said earlier that you've been working with Kenro for a while now." She's been curious of the tall girl's interactions with Kenro since she's seen them together and she couldn't help, but think that she looked a lot like her late goddaughter. If Yumi-chan grew to be the tomboy she was, I'm sure she would be much like Tenoh-san…especially with Kenro's personality.

"That's correct Kaioh-san," Haruka replied. She was beginning to feel uneasy as to where this conversation was going.

"How old are you now?'

"Seventeen, ma'am." Yes, very uneasy.

"And you're a bodyguard from the DD?"

"Yes." She knew her superiors kept her a secret from the elder Kaioh for very obvious reasons. Reasons that she wholeheartedly agreed to keep with them as well. She wondered if it would still remain so after this long ride.

"Well that's a bit strange. You shouldn't even be out of high school. Did you drop out to begin with?"

The blonde shook her head. "I've already completed high school. I'm only attending Mugen as a student to cover up the fact that I'm Michiru-san's bodyguard."

"Interesting. You already finished high school?"

"Yes, she did!" Kenro suddenly exclaimed. He was not liking this little interrogation session at all. "What's with all the damn questions anyway? Talk to the other goddamn bodyguards if you're so curio—