Chapter 12: The First Commander

They left the island as soon as dawn came. The rain by then had subsided dramatically and was only sprinkling whereas some hours ago it was torrential downpour.

Now, sitting in her seat in class 2-A, Michiru felt a pang of worry and sadness as she glanced at the empty seat beside her.

"Ahh, I see the Queen's Guards are back," Hokuto replied with mirth referring to Saiki and Muro behind MIchiru's seat where she first met them. Her smile slid though as she noticed the other girl's eyes on the still empty seat. "Where's Tenoh-san?"

Michiru rubbed her eyes in a tired fashion and forced a smile on her features as she faced Hokuto. "Working," was the small reply.

Hokuto nodded understandingly. "I tried calling your condo yesterday to see if you wanted to go do some shopping, but you didn't answer."

"Oh! I was with my parents yesterday. We visited some relatives from my mother's side."

"I see."

Their conversation dwindled as their homeroom teacher finally came in.

Michiru never realized how boring class truly was until that day. Although she unconsciously answered every question the teacher asked of her in a manner where it looked like she was paying attention, her mind was nowhere near the lessons. Instead, it always went back to the only absent student in class.

Truth be told, she had no idea where her courage came from just a few hours back. She didn't even realize she'd kissed Haruka until two green orbs looked back at her widely in surprise. A red tinge graced across her features. And then, as soon as it came, it was replaced by the worry and sadness that's been haunting her since.

Would she reciprocate my feelings? She sighed inwardly. Of all the things to say though Haruka, do you really think I cared about a pair of pajamas I didn't even own at the time. She rolled her eyes at the thought of the other's blunt words. She would make such a typical...guy...

She bit the bottom of her lip softly and was rewarded with the sweet memory of the older girl's mouth pressed against her hers. She smiled softly. Through the lonely hours after Haruka had left, realization hit her hard with the fact that being without Haruka was too lonely. With the thought of sleep far behind her buzzing mind, she began wondering how she got through sixteen long years without ever knowing the blonde. And with her feelings out in the open, how would things change? She didn't know. All she knew was that she couldn't let Haruka go without her knowing how the blonde felt about her. Truly felt. Not as her classmate. Not as her friend. And definitely not as her ward, but something more. Much more than any of the painfully obvious. But the fact that Haruka may not feel the way she does made the violinist's stomach churn wildly. The one billion yen question.

Do you feel the same?

Even the mere thought of Haruka acting differently towards her makes her heart wrench. What if she's scared of her now? Of confrontations or just being around her? What if--

"Michiru-san?"

She turned to Saiki's familiar voice and gave a questioning glance.

"It's time for lunch. Most of your classmates had left, even Sumeragi-san. She stated on how she needed to meet a certain classmate and when you didn't answer, just left."

Michiru nodded in acknowledgment and stood up from her desk. Saiki and Muro quickly followed her out of the classroom and into the overly crowded hallway.

O-----O

Walking out of Mugen and into the parking lots Michiru, with her bodyguards in tow, looked over her schedule. Empty. There were no meetings with her manager, no practices with the Okinawa Symphony... nothing. Usually she'd be more than happy to have an empty schedule since it would mean spending more time with a certain blonde, but unfortunately, said girl wasn't spending a rare day off with her. She sighed inwardly and got into the Bentley Continental when Saiki opened the door for her.