Chapter 15

The best thing about Candy’s mom was that she wasn’t Candy’s mom. She was Candy’s old step mom that stayed with her when her dad left. It was a confusing story, so it’s best if I just don’t get into that.

   Candy’s mom was awesome, though. She was twenty-three years old, and knew how to throw a party. She knew how to keep our teenage girls secrets, and she even taught us how to use a tampon. She was like my other mother. She was honestly like a role model to me.

   “Hey,” I slurred when she opened the door, “can we crash here?”

   Candy came up behind me, “Sorry, Ma. I tried not to get her this drunk, but I wasn’t really watching her like I should’ve been.”

   “It’s ok…did you call your mom?” Candy’s mom looked to me.

   “Call her like this? I’d be dead if I did that!” I burped, and then giggled. “Excuse me.”

   “She needs sleep.” Candy said, concerned.

   “I’m fine! Honest!” I giggled, and curled up on their doorstep, instantly falling asleep.

************************************************************************

   “My head hurts…” I moaned, waking up in Candy’s bed.

   “That’s what happens when you down half of a Jack Daniels.” Candy said, painting her nails on the ground.

   “What time is it?” I clutched my head as I sat up. It was pounding, and the room was starting to spin.

   “One in the afternoon,” she answered.

   “Did anyone call my mom or do I have to?”

   “Mom called her, and told her we came over to get some more clothes for me, and just ended up staying the night.”

   “Did she sound okay with that?”

   “Why wouldn’t she be? Any time she talks to my mom, she’s always pleased.”

   “Thank God for your mom.” I went back to sleep.

************************************************************************

   “Wake up, Sam!” Candy shouted in my ear.

   “I’m up, I’m up!” I sat straight up in her bed, and looked around, “What’s on fire?”

   “Your super hot boyfriend at the door maybe?” She grinned over at me.

   “Is he mad?” I asked, putting on one of her loose t-shirts.

   “He doesn’t seem to be…” She watched me walk around frantically.

   I looked in the mirror at my messy locks. They were long and wavy, but terribly messy. My make-up was smeared all over the place, and I even found a bobby pin in my bra.

   “What was I doing last night?” I shook my head, “Never mind…” I pulled all of my hair to one side, and ran downstairs to the front door.

   Josh was standing there in the same clothes he had worn last night. He was smiling a little bit, but I sensed that he wasn’t too happy with me.

   “Hi…” I said quietly as I stepped outside and closed the door.

   “Hey,” he rubbed the back of his neck.

   “What are you doing here?”

   “I wanted to make sure you made it home safely, which I guess you did…”