Chapter 10

Tiff walked over to Emmett, and they whispered while Josh and I looked one another up and down.

   “You’re his stepsister?” She exclaimed.

   I jumped, surprised at her sudden outburst. I looked over at her, and nodded. She closed her mouth, and shook her head.

   “I don’t see anything wrong with it. They’re not blood related.” Emmett said, looking over at me.

   Josh wrapped an arm around my waist, and pulled me close to him. “Me neither…”

   A strange look crossed Emmett’s face, and he just nodded at Josh. Josh smirked and rolled his eyes. Emmett chuckled quietly, and looked back over to me.

   “So, where you from?”  He asked.

   “It’s a half hour drive here for me.”

   “Far away…” He looked at the floor.

   I nodded and coughed. It was pretty awkward. The doorbell rang, and Emmett and Tiff ran over to open the door. A group of five girls and three boys walked through the door with tons of grocery bags. Seeing through them, I realized there was beers in all of the bags. I grimaced. I had a beer once or twice, but it wasn’t my favorite. I was more into the fruity alcoholic drinks that Steven always made at the abandoned house parties. All three of the guys came up to Josh to give him a man hug.

   “Josh! Dude! What’s up, man?” A guy with dirty blonde hair shouted at him.

   “Nothing much…” He pulled me closer as he answered the question.

   The dirty blonde guy checked me out, and then nodded at Josh. “Who’s this?” He winked at me.

   Josh’s grip tightened around my waist. “Sam…”

   “Hello Sam!” He peered over his sunglasses and winked again.

   I blushed and looked down. “Hey man,” Josh said, “she’s mine tonight.”

   The blonde guy laughed heartily, and patted Josh on the back. “Well done, man.”

   Josh sniffed, and smiled back at the blonde guy. “So where’s your date, Adam?”

   Adam turned around and pointed at a leggy blonde who was talking to Tiff. “Kelly Dean.”

   “You finally got her? Good for you man!” Josh punched his arm playfully.

   “It was worth the wait, bro. She’s amazing…if you know what I mean.” They both laughed loudly, and then Adam walked away.

   Another guy came up with dark brown hair. “Josh! My bro!”

   “Dillon! Dude!” They hugged one another, and then Dillon looked over at me.

   “Well hey there…” He whipped his long hair to the side, and held out his hand. “I’m Dillon.”

   I shook his hand. “Hi Dillon… I’m Sam.” I smiled sweetly at him, and then continued to look down shyly.

   “I haven’t seen her around…” Dillon started talking to Josh.

   “I met her at the wedding.” He pulled me close to him again.

   It was quiet between them and they burst into laughter. I looked up, and they were both looking at me, trying to keep a straight face.

   “I’m going to go get a drink.” I pointed to the kitchen, and walked away. I didn’t like it when guys liked to get a kick out of how hot the other guy’s date was.