16) Double Choclate Pancakes (and reasons to eat them)

It was another week since the hulk incident and everyone had been on eggshells around Bruce, which bothered him more than a little. In fact Tony was the only one who want completely terrified of him, but Tony's reaction was much worse.

"No, Tony. You can't poke Bruce with that," Tom said, pulling the fork out of Tony's small hand.

"But I'm experimentin' to see how many pokes it takes to turn Brucie green."

"I said stop calling me Brucie, I'm not a baby," the other boy whined, not too eager to be a part of the other boy's 'experimentin' but certainly in no position to turn down a friend.

"But Bruce sounds like an old person name."

"Nu-hu."

"Uh-hu."

"Nu-"

"Both of you! Be quiet. Tony go find Maria in the kitchen, she wanted to talk to you about something," Tom instructed.

"And Bruce, you need to be careful that you don't get angry. The doctors almost have a way to get rid of, of the other guy, but it could take another day or two, so stick to reading, 'kay?"

"Okay." Bruce started walking back to his room to get the book he was currently reading, Skulduggery Pleasant.

________________________________________________________________________________

"So, Maria, you wan'ed to see me?" Tony asked.

"Yea, Tony, I did." Maria turned away from the carrot she was chopping (badly) and faced Tony.

"Look, I know all of this has been a bit strange. It can't be easy." The 'losing your parents' was unspoken, but implied.

"I know you're a good kid, but you need to learn to play well with the others. So far you've just been trying to annoy Bruce, and teasing everyone else for no reason."

"I was esperimentin' with Brucie," Tony cut in, but Maria stopped him.

"That doesn't make it right. Why don't you try and play with some of the other kids? Pepper's always looking for a tea-party guest, and she seems to really like you, or you could see if Jan or Bobbi need any help with anything, you could go and find Clint in the air ducts, as long as you come back out for dinner. There's loads of things you could do instead of messing."

Just then, Pepper wandered into the kitchen holding a plastic tea pot and a lump of, slightly chewed, plastic food.

"Mawia, will you pway wif me? 'Cause Cwint said he won't, and Steve had an ama hack, but Jan saved him and he's havin' a nap, and Thow said is too baby-ish." Pepper gave Maria her most adorable puppy-dog eyes.

"Sorry, honey. I have to make you all dinner, but Tony might play if you ask nicely."

"Pwease, pwease, pweeeeeeeeease," Pepper asked, batting her eyelashes in a way no three-year-old should know how.

Tony grunted a response and followed Pepper into the play room, mentally preparing himself for all the plastic food he would have to pretend to eat

Maria laughed at how, even as a six year old, Tony was still willing to do whatever it took to stay on Pepper's good side.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Jan, Jan!" Hank called, running down the corridor to the bedrooms.

"Yea, what is it?" she replied sleepily, it was ten am, but since the helicarier incident she and Bobbi had found themselves sleeping in much later than usual, and would often emerge from their shared room around noon and take the kids off Maria and Tom for a few hours so they could have a break from being the parents of seven kids under seven.