9) Shopping (1)

“Is everyone strapped in?” Tom asked looking over his shoulder at the seven kids strapped into a black mini-van. It had taken half an hour to get everyone happy with whom they were sitting beside, but finally they had gotten Tony and Bruce in the very back, then Clint and Steve, who had surprisingly grown very close, and Pepper and Nat sat right behind Tom and Maria, with Thor in the middle.

“Yea,” he heard six small voices chorus, and a “Da,” from Nat, who still occasionally spoke Russian without realising it.

“Let’s go then,” Maria said as Tom pulled out of the parking space and drove out on to the motorway. Everything was lovely and calm for all of ten seconds then,

“Let go!” Bruce yelled, as Tony tried to take his current instruction manual, this one was for the television.

“I just wanna look at it,” Tony whined.

“But it’s mine!”

“No tisn’t.”

“Yea is.”

“Shut up! Tony give Bruce his manual, both of you just be good,” Maria yelled without turning back to look at them.

“But I didn’t even do anything,” Bruce complained under his breath.

“I don’t care, now be quiet.” After that no one made a sound, for two minutes and then they started talking quietly to each other. Pepper was introducing Thor to her new teddy bear. Nat had somehow turned herself around in her booster seat and was talking to Clint and Steve. Bruce was reading his manual and Tony was fiddling with a few pieces of wire.

______________________________________________________________

“No, don’t get out of the car yet,” Maria said as she tried to re-assemble the two strollers that she and Tom had for if the kids got tired. After she struggled for just thirty seconds, tom walked round the side of the car and managed to press the correct button and pulled the right leaver, and the stroller snapped out to its full height.

“Piece o’ cake!” Tom said smugly.

Maria put Clint and Nat in one stroller, and Steve and Pepper in the other since they were the smallest. The kids were in the same black and grey outfits from the day before, so Maria decided that new clothes would be the first stop, for the kids and for her and Tom as they didn’t have a lot of ‘Civilian Clothes’ and they both knew it would be a bad idea to stay at the base with the kids the whole time, so they would need clothes as well.

“Which way?” Tom asked, he was hopeless when it came to clothes shopping, and knew he would be of slightly more use than a coat rack, and only because he would follow Maria around the shops and carry all the bags.

“Uh,” Maria replied uncertainly, and turned to the right where she saw a large Penney’s (Primark if you’re English, I’m not sure what American shops sell children’s clothes) and pushed Nat and Clint’s stroller in that direction.

“This way, I think.”

____________________________________________________________________

“Maria, look at these. We have to get these for them,” Tom said, laughing slightly as he pointed at a rack of children’s tee-shirts. At first she didn’t get why it was so funny, but then it hit her. It was a whole wall covered in Avengers themed clothing, and Tom was pointing at a tee-shirt that had a picture of all the Avengers symbols on it. An ARC reactor, shield, hourglass, bow and arrow, hammer and a green fist were all circled round a blue cube that symbolised the tesseract. Maria thought they were just the cutest shirts ever and picked out seven, one for each of the kids.