8) The Voice of Doors

Maria opened her eyes to see a pair of bright blue eyes staring back at her.

“Agh!” she screamed, jumping up and knocking Natasha off her bed.

“Oh Nat, I’m so sorry. I didn’t realise you were there,” Maria said, picking up Nat, who looked on the verge of tears.

“It okay, Maria. I okay,” she said, wiping her eyes with her tiny hands.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Maria asked worriedly.

“Uh-hu, I fine.”

“Hey, do you wanna go get some breakfast?” Maria asked after Nat’s stomach growled.

“Yea, okay.”

Maria threw on a S.H.I.E.l.D. jumper over her plain black pyjama’s and led Nat into the kitchen to see what she could find for breakfast, where she was greeted by a very guilty looking Tony and Thor who, presumably, were trying to make toast.

“Oh god, boys get down from there,” Maria instructed, lifting the two boys off the chairs they had dragged up to the counter from the adjoining dining room.

“We were hungry, so I was makin toast,” Tony said, staring at his feet as if he expected Maria to start yelling, but she couldn’t really blame him for being hungry.

“Why didn’t you wake me, or Tom?” she asked, hoping that if she acted nicely it might just prevent another Tony incident.

“’Cause enever I wake my mommy or daddy they always yell at me,” he said quietly.

“And usually a nanny makes my breakfast.”

“Well from now on, if you’re hungry, just wake me up okay?”

“Okay. Can you make toast, an do we have any chocolate spread?” Tony asked, considerably cheerier than a moment ago.

“Yea Tony, I’ll make you some toast. What do you want, Thor?”

“I WOULD ALSO LIKE THIS TOASTED BREAD THAT TONY HAS SPOKEN WELL OF!” Thor yelled. Nat covered her hands with her ears and pushed her face into Maria’s leg. Tony winced slightly at the sound, and Maria was surprised she hadn’t been woken sooner by Thor.

“Thor, indoor voice,” she said quietly, picking up Nat and popping four slices of toast into the toaster.

“WHAT IS THIS VOICE OF DOORS YOU SPEAK OF?” he asked, almost loader than the last time, and Tom ran into to kitchen, with a terrified looking Steve clinging to his chest.

“What the hell is going on?” he asked warily, putting Steve down and pointing his gun round the kitchen, searching for the non-existent threat.

“It’s okay, I was just trying to teach Thor the concept of an indoor voice,” Maria said calmly, searching the cupboards for some chocolate spread for Tony, and some jam for herself.

“Oh, well, good luck with that. Pepper and Bruce are in the playroom and Steve was hungry so I was coming in here anyway. Then I heard someone yelling, and, well,” Tom replied, putting the gun back in his pocket.

“Can I have some seral?” Steve asked quietly.

“What?” Tom asked same time that Maria said “Sure you can have cereal” and grabbed a box of corn flakes from a stack of various cereals in a cupboard beside the fridge.

“So, we should probably get them some proper clothes today,” Maria said, spreading the thick chocolate spread onto Tony’s toast. She had no idea how he could eat something so sweet so early in the morning, but she didn’t question it.

“I wan some toast too,” Nat said quietly from where she was clinging onto Maria.

“Here,” Maria replied, handing her the piece of toast she had just buttered for herself “Have this”.

“Danks.”

Maria toasted almost a full loaf of bread, buttered it all, and piled it all on to a plate to bring into the playroom. Tony and Steve followed her in. Bruce was sitting in a corner, reading an instructions manual for a fridge, or possibly a washing machine, Maria wasn’t really sure. Pepper was talking animatedly to herself and holding two stuffed animals which appeared to be dancing.

“Guys! Breakfast!” Maria called out. Bruce looked up just long enough to grab two slices of toast, then resumed his reading. Maria made a mental note to buy him some proper books. There weren’t any at the base because the agents rarely had enough free time to read.

“Can I watch TV?” Tony asked, although he already had the TV turned on and was looking under the sofa for the remote.

“Yea, sure, but put on something for everyone kay?” Maria said. An argument over the TV was not something she needed now.

“Okeydokey,” Tony said, his small fingers grasping the remote. He put on some children’s program that showed two yellow cartoons wearing blue and white striped jumpsuits, dancing with some teddy bears.

“Kids TV, it just gets worse and worse,” Maria muttered, walking back to the kitchen so she could discuss getting clothes for the kids, with Tom.

________________________________________________________________________

Sorry it’s so short, and boring, but they’re all going shopping next chapter and I wanted to have a full chapter for that, so, yea.

So I was thinking, I may or may not (depending on what you guys think) change this slightly, because I have changed Maria a lot from what she is really like, so I was thinking of changing it so instead of it being Maria, it will be an O/C S.H.I.E.LD. Agent. I just want to know if you guys would mind (or care) if I do that.

Yea so, shopping next chapter. That should be fun!

Littlesemble!