Chapter 26

A/N I will edit this tomorrow so if you want to read a better version, wait for tomorrow.  If not, go on and read this crap, I just wanted to update :) BTW check out my interview with @LovelySkies !

Dannie stared dejectedly at the bottle of alcohol in front of her, wondering if this was what withdrawal symptoms felt like.  She heaved a sigh and tore her eyes away from the bottle.

Her insides were clenched up and it felt like a knife was tearing into her chest.  

It had been one whole week.  One whole week since they had gotten back from the cruise.  One whole week since she had felt any emotion at all.  One whole week since Seth had spoken to her.  

Summer was coming to a close but the halcyon days she and Seth had shared still burned bright in her memory.

She remembered the first time she had met him.  He was so warm-hearted, so playful and joking that it made her look twice.  

Her memory fast forwarded a bit to where he had snuck in through her window.  He had been so tenacious that even though it had scared her, it had sent a thrill through her body.

And then there was the one time she had broken down and told him about Cece.  He had somehow done the right thing and had stuck by her side, calming her down.

But then Dannie reminisced back to the last week on the ship.  He had given her the cold shoulder.  He didn't spare her a second glance as he partied through the last few weeks of summer.

The voice in her mind told her otherwise though.

Even when she had crushed him by breaking up, he had still looked out for her.  He made sure she ate, supported her when she was close to breaking down and giving in to Kate, and kept an eye on her when he thought she wasn't watching.

He had been there for her all along.  

Something pulled at Dannie's heart string- she didn't know she had one- and she shot up straight in bed.

Maybe she was wrong.  Maybe they could make this work, or at least, part on amicable terms.

Not even bothering to put on shoes, Dannie flew threw the front door and arrived on the Parker's doorstep.  

Her parents and Quinn had disappeared early that morning and only God knew where Katy was.  Dannie just hoped that the Parkers wouldn't be at De Vivre, working their shifts.

Dannie jumped up the porch steps two at a time before arriving at the familiar blue door.

Frantically pounding on it, a grim faced Van opened the door.  Dannie mumbled a few curse words under her breath.  Out of all the people to have answered the door, she had been hoping it wouldn't be him.

"Do you know where I can find Seth?" she asked, swallowing her fear of the eldest Parker.

Van paused before slowly opening his mouth.  But before a single syllable left his lips, Dexter pushed passed Van and hugged Dannie's waist in a death grip.

"We have to go to the hospital!" the little boy cried.  Dannie gave him an odd look, before he recaptured her attention.  "Katy's in the hospital!"

"What?" Dannie cried incredulously.

Dexter bobbed his head in one swift motion.  "She's got cancer!"

Dannie looked at him, confused.  If Katy had cancer, surely she'd be the first to know.

"I swear it's true!" Dexter bellowed.

"Dex, I don't have time for this.  I just want to talk to Seth," Dannie said rubbing a hand over her face.  Now was not the time for Dexter's wild antics.