Chapter 7

"This stuff is similar to your original heritage, right?" Dannie asked poking at the foods available in the Chinese food cart. She had led Oliver to the International Sector of the boardwalk where there were foods and decorations of all kinds from all around the world. Sort of like Epcot all crammed into the space of a couple of blocks.

"Yeah, I'm a quarter Chinese," Oliver replied making himself a drink known as bubble tea. "You put in the tapioca pearls and then simply add the flavor of tea you want," he explained as he handed Dannie a cup. "It's good isn't it?"

Dannie took a long sip from the fat straw and closed her eyes in pleasure. Even though she had lived on the island all her life, she had never tried all the exotic foods they had to offer. The bubble tea tasted just as good as a refreshing smoothie and she smiled delightedly as she chewed on the tapioca. It was her favorite part of the drink.

"You want to try the shaved ice? Its way different from what you guys have in America," Oliver said eyeing a nearby food stand.

As Dannie was about to nod in confirmation, her phone started ringing. Ignoring the caller ID, she brought the device up to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Dannie? It's me, Seth. Let me--"

Dannie hung up the second she heard his name. She was still miffed at him standing her up. Even if he had a legitimate excuse, she had had enough of him for today and wanted to make the best of her wasted day.

Evening was now approaching and the sun was beginning to set. "How about that shaved ice Oliver?"

However, Oliver was frowning down at his phone. His fingers quickly typed out a message and he looked up apologetically at Dannie. "Sorry Dannie, maybe next time. I hate to leave you like this but my parents need me at De Vivre."

Dannie's mood dropped but she did her best to cover it up. "It's alright Oliver. I understand, tell my sister 'hi' for me would you?"

"Sure thing. I'll catch you later," he said heading in the direction of his family owned restaurant.

After wandering around aimlessly, Dannie decided to spend some time at the beach for a walk. The cool crisp air and salty smell always calmed her senses somehow. In the distance, thunderclouds were rolling in though the storm still seemed to be a long way off.

She decided to keep on walking until the storm actually arrived. There was no harm in that. Kicking sand up with her feet wherever she went, Dannie observed the scenery around her.

The beach was still filled with the same little kids she had seen earlier, though she had still yet to spot Katy. The boardwalk to her right was filled with chatter as people socialized. A couple of blocks down, Dannie recognized the carnival in the distance. It was being reopened after the colder seasons for the summer and being were flocking around it like helpless moths to a light.

Dannie zoned out, slinking into the conscious state of daydreaming and didn't notice the boy behind her, calling her name. It wasn't until he gently grabbed her shoulder that she jumped out of her thoughts.

"Seth!" she exclaimed.

"Dannie, I thought I'd never find--"

"You stupid arrogant jerk who takes all he has for granted! Can you just please stop following me around everywhere?" Dannie cut him off exasperated. She had been waiting to say that to him all day and it felt good to let the insults glide off her tongue, even if they were a bit harsh.

"Come--"

"You're not forgiven."

"How did you know I was going to apologize?"