26| Something Worse

Stiles lays blueprints on the desk in Derek's hideout. I can't quite pay attention to the mission. I can hear them just fine but my heart just doesn't care. No one's seen him. Heard from. He hasn't called or returned any of my calls. I fiddle with the ring on my finger.

"Can we fit in there?" Scott asks.

"Yes, we can, but very, very barely. And they also patched the wall, obviously, so we're gonna need a drill of some kind. I'm thinking maybe a diamond bit--"

"Look, forget the drill," Derek cuts.

"Sorry?"

"If I go in first, how much space do I have?"

"What do you- What do you think you're gonna do, Derek? You're gonna punch through the wall?"

Derek crosses his arms over his chest. "Yes, Stiles, I'm gonna punch through the wall."

I place my elbow on the desk and rest my cheek in the palm of my hand. This isn't going to end well at all.

"Okay, okay, big guy. Let's see it. Let's see that fist. Make it, come on." Derek slowly holds up his fist. "Big, bad wolf. Yeah look at that."

Stiles puts his hand a few inches in front of Derek's fist.

"Okay see this? That's maybe three inches of room to gather enough force to punch through solid co-"

Derek punches Stiles' hand. He falls against the desk. He gets up and holds his arm walking away making an awkward, squawk-y grunt sound.

"He could do it."

"I'll get through the wall," Derek states. "Who's following me down?"

I go back to staring at my phone waiting for a call from Sheriff or Jay. Someone that had something on his whereabouts. I can't take much more of this. I notice Stiles has returned to the desk.

"And if that's not enough to scare your testicles back into your stomach, try to remember that two of them combine bodies to form one, giant Alpha. I'm sure Erica and Boyd were sweet kids. They're gonna be missed," Peter says.

"Can someone kill him again? Please?" Stiles begs.

I'd gladly do it.

"Derek, seriously? Not worth the risk."

"What about one of you two?" Derek asks.

"Yeah," Stiles confirms, "if you want me to come-"

"Not you. "

"Got it."

Scott and I exchange looks. I shrug my shoulders. I don't want to say no because I might come off like Peter but that's not the case. I want to watch out for Jay. He's like a second brother.

"I don't know about Erica but if Boyd's still alive, we have to do something. We have to try," Scott says. "I'll go."

"So," I ask, "who's the other girl? The one locked in there with Boyd?"

~

"I can't take waiting around like this, you know? It's nerve-racking. My nerves are racked. They're severely racked. Racked."

I can't take my eyes off my phone waiting for someone to call or something to follow up on Jay.

"I could beat you unconscious and wake you when it's over," Peter replies.

Stiles sits next to me. "You think Erica's really dead?"

"You think I really care?"

"I liked you better dead," I spit out harshly towards Peter.