4| Date or Die

I see Scott and Stiles sitting a lunch table and I sit next to Stiles. He smiles at my presence.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi."

"You can't just cancel your entire life. We'll figure it out," he says.

"Figure what out?" Lydia says sitting down.

I feel my heart pace quicken. Stiles's eyes are quickly on her. I roll my eyes slightly annoyed. I softly hit his elbow. He looks at me and shrugs.

"Just, uh, homework," he says.

"Yeah," I mutter.

"Why is she sitting with us?" He whispers to me.

"How should I know?" I ask.

"She's your friend."

"She's your crush."

Lydia narrows her eyes at us. "I don't know what you two are talking about but you're bickering like a old married couple."

Stiles and I look each other. We look away. Allison walks over and Scott moves his backpack. She smiles and takes a seat.

"Thanks."

A boy sits next to Lydia. Jackson walks over.

"Get up," he says to the boy.

"How come you never ask Danny to get up?"

Danny chuckles. "Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot."

Jackson sits down and they begin talking. I lose interest and begin to pick at my food.

"The guy's probably some homeless tweaker," Jackson says, "who's going to die anyways."

"What an asshole thing to say," I tell him.

He shrugs.

"Actually, I just found out who it is. Check it out."

Stiles shows us his phone.

"The sheriff's department won't speculate on details of the incident but confirmed the victim, Garrison Meyers, did survive the attack. Meyers was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition."

I look up at Scott. "We know this guy."

"You do?"

"Yea, back when we used to take the bus back when we lived with our dad. He was the driver," Scott says.

"Can we talk about something slightly more fun please? Like, oh, where are we going tomorrow night?" Lydia chimes.

"We?" Allison asks.

"You said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow night, right?"

"Um...We were thinking of what we were going to do."

"Well, I am not sitting home again watching lacrosse videos, so if the six of us are hanging out, we are doing something fun."

"Lydia," I says, "I think you counted two too many."

"No. Me, Jackson, Allison, Scott, and you once I find you a cute date."

"Hanging out?" Scott asks. "Like us and them."

"Yeah, I guess," Allison says.

"But I never agreed to a date," I say.

"But it sounds fun."