19| Attempt

"This plan officially sucks."

I climb out of the backseat of Stiles's car where I was laying and onto the pavement. I smile, bouncing on my toes, excitedly.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He asks.

I rock back and forth on my heel. "Helping."

"You can't be here."

"I'm not even going inside. I'm here to help you."

"Still dangerous."

"Nothing great was ever achieved without danger."

"Don't you Niccolo Machiavelli me."

I take Stiles's hand in mine. He looks down at our hands and back at me with a serious look in his eyes. I kiss his cheek and his mouth opens ajar.

"I'm here to help. You go one direction and I go the other. Simple enough? We meet back here."

He nods, reluctantly. "But only because you promise to stay out here with me and not go into the rave for any reason at all. Do you promise?"

"Yes."

"Promise me."

His eyes search mine. My heart melts.

How could I say no?

Easily.

But I don't want to say no just because he asked me to promise him. I couldn't admit it out loud even if I wanted to. I couldn't say the words.

He likes another girl. A prettier girl. A smarter girl. A more amazing girl. I hate that.

I breathe out and nod. "I promise Stiles."

"Good."

I grab the other bag of mountain ash and walk a feet away from Stiles car and he does the same.

~

"Uh, Stiles," I warn. "I'm out."

"I only have a handful left."

"Oh no."

"Oh no is right."

"Call Scott."

Stiles pulls out his phone and dials my brother's phone number. It goes straight to voice and Stiles groans in frustration.

"Scott, pick up. Pick up now. Look, I got, like fifty feet of ash left and I'm out. Okay? So you got to get your wolf ass down here to help me because I don't know what to do. And I'm just standing out here and I'm-" I hear roaring and gunshots. Stiles and I exchange glances. "And I'm hearing gunfire and werewolves. And I'm standing out here like a freakin' idiot all by myself with a handful of magic fairy dust. And I don't have enough."

He hangs up the phone angrily and shoves it back into his pocket. I touch his arm. He looks at me.

"You need to believe, Stiles. Just, uh, just imagine it working, okay?" I encourage.

He nods and he takes a deep breath. Stiles begins moving forward with the ash in his hand. I close my eyes and silently pray. Hoping this doesn't go horribly wrong.

I hear a soft groan. I grimace. Then I hear laughter. I open my eyes and Stiles looks at me smiling. I look at the circle.

Fully closed. Not gap in between at all.

"Yes!" I exclaim.

I jump into his arms excitedly. He lifts me off the ground as I wrap my arms around his neck. I laugh and he spins me around, moving backwards into another car.