The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-32

A/n-   Apologies for the delay.... hope this makes up for it...!

Chapter-32

“So?”

The question hung in the air between them, pulsing with a life of its own. Lucius searched her eyes, struggling to understand what she meant by that, but finding no clue he decided to go with the obvious-“So...this letter is not from Carlitos, I assume?”

She laughed at that, shaking her head. “Obviously.”

“The reunion is in three days...you should RSVP your answer.” He rose to his feet.

“Can I go?”

He stopped mid-step, not believing his ears.

“Lucius?”

He whirled around, striding back to her. “Did you just ask my permission to attend your school re-union?”

She gave a brief nod, bending her head to hide the blush painting her cheeks a very delectable shade of red. Lucius swallowed, determinately focussing on their conversation and not his wife’s expressive face. Even then, it took him a minute to realize that she had confirmed that yes, she had asked his permission.

“I’ll not go if you don’t want me to...” she murmured, mistaking his silence for censure.

Que Dios me ayude (God help me)!  What am I going to do with you, Cariño ?” He sighed, settling down on the bed next to her, and turning slightly so that they were facing each other. He took her hand in his own larger ones and placed a reassuring kiss against her open palm, “Of course you can go!”

“You won’t mind?”

“Cariño, I’m neither your parent nor your babysitter. You may go... Or not go; if you so choose... it’s immaterial, as long as you are happy. Are we clear?” he bit out.

Amelia nodded, not quite sure whether Lucius was angry or plain frustrated. She watched warily as he strode away to pluck something out of his wallet before walking back to her; his arm outstretched. She accepted the tiny rectangle from him before inspecting it- A platinum card.

A freaking platinum card!

“Lucius?” She questioned, feeling like she had missed a part of their conversation.

“For tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” She repeated uncomprehendingly.

“Yeah, I imagine you would want to buy a couple of outfits? For the re-union?”

She met his gaze blankly.

“Uh, shopping?” he added hesitantly at her vacant stare.

She scrunched up her face, “Umm, exactly why would I want to subject myself to a shopping spree? I mean, yeah- it’s my school re-union... but I already have tons of outfits to choose from.”

“Because all girls love to shop?” Now he sounded uncertain.

All girls?” She arched an eyebrow, considering.

“umm, Yes?”

“Are you accusing me of having some less-than lady-like traits because-”

“Hell, no!” He interrupted.

“Alright-y then...I’d like to point out that you are guilty of hasty generalization here... I- I hate shopping.”

He quirked an eyebrow, “You’re not joking?”

Mia shrugged, “Yeah, I kind of find it on par with root-canal...”

Lucius struggled to contain his laugh for a minute before failing miserably, “That...that’s really hilarious!”

“What?”  She sounded defensive to her own ears.

“Root-canal, seriously?”

“Root-canal.” She confirmed, folding her arms over her chest and refusing to change her opinion.

“Glad to know that we have more in common than I first suspected...” Lucius shook his head, muttering to himself, ‘Root-Canal.’ He chuckled again, aloud he added; “although, I would have admittedly gone with something a little less extreme than dental treatment.”

For a moment their eyes met each other, staring wordlessly in the aftermath of his assertion, and then as if on some hidden cue they both burst out laughing.

It took a minute for Amelia to sober up before she inquired, “So, you don’t mind if I attend my school reunion in one of my old dresses, do you?”

Lucius just glanced her as he picked up a towel before heading for a shower, “Your school, and your clothes...your decision.”

“Wait, you won’t accompany me?”

He paused, “I didn’t think I was invited.”

“I’ll ask?” She knew she sounded way too hopeful, but couldn’t help herself.

He nodded, and then closed the bathroom door behind him as he stepped in to change for the night.

Amelia sighed and curled up on the bed. She knew- she honest to God, knew- that it was only because he didn’t want to make her uncomfortable, but somehow; she couldn’t seem to help feeling that inspite of how far they had come, a part of him was still intent on holding her at arm’s length. Well, she would work on that...after all- tomorrow was always another day.