The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-13

Chapter-13

 Amelia walked alongside Carlitos- a comfortable silence between them. As they turned at the lane leading to her house, he paused.

“What?” She asked, smiling.

“You look beautiful.”

She blushed, lowering her head, “Thanks.”

“Do you think we could...maybe, do this again sometime?”

“Why not?” She had to smile at the hopeful tone. She had enjoyed spending time with him- loved the fact that there were no complications. Yet.

He tugged on her arm, turning her to face him, “You know ...there is something I wanted to do all evening-” And before she could protest his lips were softly enveloping hers.

Her first kiss.

Not knowing what was expected of her, she went still. He would have deepened the kiss, but for the persistent throat-clearing beside them. With an oath he straightened to glare at the man responsible for breaking their kiss.

Only, it was not one man. They were two.

And they looked menacing enough, without him riling them up further.

“Miss, we need you to come with us.”

Amelia turned, all her haziness from the kiss disappearing the second she laid eyes on the men.

Vampires.

 She tried to tug Carlitos behind her, not wanting him hurt; but he resisted. Trying to shield her with his body, instead. “Why?”

The vampire who had spoken earlier turned to glower at him, before facing Amelia again, “You are hereby charged with treachery for betraying Lord Romanowsky.”

There was an audible gasp and it took her a moment to realize that it had been her. She dropped Carlitos’ hand, “Go home... Don’t-” her voice cracked,” Don’t tell my parents about this...”

“But-” He began to protest.

“Tell them,” she sucked in a calming breath, “Tell them he sent for me. And that I went back.”

Without a backward glance, she accompanied the two vampires to their transport- a giant all-terrain vehicle. She submitted to her hands being bound behind her back, glad that they had allowed her the dignity of entering the vehicle and not handcuffed her outside- in front of Carlitos, like a common felon.

Unlike her first ride to the mansion, this journey was far from comfortable. For one, her hands were bound behind her, cramping her shoulders. And for another, these vampires were obviously in a hurry- driving recklessly fast with no concern for their prisoner being tossed around uncomfortably all over the back seat.

It was no surprise then, that they reached their destination in record time. Hauling her out unceremoniously, they marched her up the marble steps to the great hall she had visited when she first came here.

At the far side were three men engrossed deep in conversation. They paused at their approach, though, turning to look at what was happening. Amelia’s heart thudded to a stop.

Lucius.

He looked paler than the last time she had seen him, the blues of his eyes cloudy. His face mirrored her shock. Apparently, he was not the one responsible for ordering her arrest.

“Amelia!” He strode towards them, glaring at the guards on her either side. “What is the meaning of this-!” he thundered. “Release her at once.”

A dark figure stepped between them, stopping him from reaching her, “Not so fast, brother.”

“Andre?” Lucius questioned; his voice low and dangerous.

“Patience, brother...Por qué no te sientas? (Why don’t you have a seat?)”

Lucius growled softly, but his retort was stopped by the arrival of their father.

Lord Romanowsky looked at his two sons, his expression serene. He stared a moment longer at Lucius who gnashed his teeth together as he went to sit by his father.

“Well?”

“Why is Amelia here?” Lucius added.

“Yes, I thought you might ask that…Niña, why don’t you tell them where you were, before being brought here?”

She hung her head.

“Mia?” Lucius’ voice was soft. Encouraging.

“I was out on a date.” She whispered.

She closed her eyes, sure of the censure which would follow her confession.

“So?” Lucius’ bland voice had her blinking.

Andre smirked, “Actually, I would say it was a little more than that. Won’t you agree, Niña?”

Amelia blanched, remembering the kiss.

Her first kiss.

A sudden wave of agony hit her like a tsunami, knocking the breath out of her. It vanished as suddenly as it had come. She looked up. Lucius sat like one turned to stone- his face twisted with unspeakable sadness.

Forgive me.

 If he heard her silent plea, he made no indication of it. He just sat. Not moving. Not blinking. Frozen.

“I think it would be rather unfair to expect that Lucius should mete out the punishment for this gross betrayal of trust personally.” Andre continued his voice sombre.

Her head shot up. Surely, Lucius would protest?

But, he just sat there. Saying nothing.

Lord Romanowsky looked at Amelia- his gaze reflecting both his grief and his anger. He nodded, turning his attention back to Andre, “You will deal this?”

He glanced at Amelia. “If that’s what you wish, Father.”

Lord Romanowsky nodded slowly, “I do wish it.”