The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-11

Chapter-11

Amelia lay on the bed, immobilized by fear; staring up at his frowning face.  He broke eye-contact after a minute- turning and walking out of the room so fast, that for all she knew, he could have disappeared into thin air. She heard the gurgle of a tap start, and wondered if she would be able to move fast enough to pull off an escape.

Tell me, Cariño... Tell me, what do I have to do earn your trust?

She froze.

As if being unable to outrun him was not enough, he had to be able to hear her thoughts and know her plans beforehand.

Her musings were cut short by his re-appearance. She waited as he set down a bowl full of water and a washcloth down before perching on the edge of the bed. “Let’s take a look at those legs, shall we?”

She tried to scramble away from him, but the frustration evident on his face had her stopping in her tracks.

“Seriously, Mia? You still think I am going to hurt you?”

She bent her head, ashamed. He had never actually done anything to deserve her distrust.

With a sigh, he took hold of her left leg, and began to clean the scratches she had incurred on her mad dash around the forest. The lukewarm water felt amazingly pleasant on her blistered feet... as did his gentle ministrations. Taking care not to inflict pain, he proceeded to repeat the process with her other leg. While the sting of the anti-septic had her flinching in pain, she welcomed the soothing ointment which followed.

Lucius never spoke for the entire time, but continued to cradle her feet once he was done. His fingers-lighter than the touch of a butterfly’s wing, traced the outline of the ring of Celtic knots circling her ankle.

“You know, I never wanted this for you.”He offered unexpectedly. “You are so...perfect... I don’t want to uproot your world; just so that I can transplant you in mine.”

Her head shot up as realization dawned.

“You are planning to change me into a vampire?” She questioned, appalled.

“It will be expected- once the vows have been exchanged.”He shrugged, then noticing her horrified expression, hastened to comfort her, “Obviously, the final decision will be ours.”

She nodded resignedly, “Is it very painful? The conversion?”

“I’m sorry, I wouldn’t know...”

“You don’t know? How-?”

“I’m a pureblood vampire, Amelia. I was born this way.” He explained softly, hoping, she could see; not to frighten her further.

“I don’t want to be a vampire,” She whispered, her voice cracking on the last word even as the blues struck her anew.

Almost instantly, she found herself in his arms, “Hush, Cariño...stop crying, please... Tell me, if there is anything I can do-?”

“Take me home.” She whispered.

Lucius stiffened, staring at her through stricken eyes.

“Please Lucius,just... Let me go.”