Chapter Thirty

Even if I sat at the opposite end of the table I was aware of every one of his movements.

Wow that sounds creepy.

The entire table was quite as if they were waiting for a fight, and awkward wasn’t even a word to do the feeling justice.

“So” Jake says.

“So” I mimic back looking at him.

“How’s your mom?” He asks politely trying to engage in conversation. I could literally feel my eyes darken, I almost even growled.

“Fine” I say through clenched teeth, Shay looks over giving me a worried look and I roll my eyes, maybe telling her wasn’t the smartest decision.

“Shay, did you watch the TCA’s last night?” Annie asks smiling.

“Nope” She says getting up. Well that was kind of rude, I mean obviously I don’t love this girl but she didn’t exactly do anything wrong.

Other than stealing your boyfriend .My inner voice says.

“Hail, help me with the dessert?” Shay asks and I follow her into the kitchen thankful for being excused from that disaster.

“Hailey” She says as we walked to the oven. “I’m sorry about her”

“You didn’t do anything so don’t apologize, and if he’s happy then whatever, I didn’t deserve him anyways” I say keeping a straight face. God I can’t remember t he last time I genuinely laughed or even smiled for that matter.

“Well Spencer’s a complete idiot for not seeing what a great girl he gave up” She says bitterly.

“It’s not his fault, I left him” I say looking down.

‘One of the worst mistakes of my life’ I thought to myself.

“Still! He doesn’t have to be fooling around, I mean you missed him too but it’s not like you went slutting around” She huffs.

“Thats enough” I say about to walk away.

“Oh great” Shay whispers looking behind me.

I looked back to see Annie walking over to us smiling.

“Hey guys, anything I can do?” She asks politely.

‘Yeah, back off my man’ I said in my head whilst glaring. ‘He’s not yours, being jealous won’t solve anything’. I remind myself.

“Hi Annie” I say stiffly, plastering a fake smile on my face.

“Hailey, it’s nice to finally meet you, I’ve heard quite a lot about you” She says smiling.

“All good things I’d hope” I said trying not to sound uninterested.

I noticed Spencer looking over at us and Annie turned to smile at him.

“So you and Spencer huh?” I ask.

“Yeah we’ve been together for 2 months now” She gushed clapping her hands together.

My stomach twisted at the thought of him being with her, being happy with her for the past 2 months while I was being tortured and wanted nothing more than to be safe in his arms.

“Thats great” I force myself to say.

“Yeah gosh he’s amazing” She says “Sweet, caring and so damn hot”

“Yup” I say awkwardly.

“I was so lucky to have met him at that bookstore that day” She says sighing in bliss.