Chapter Twenty-Eight

I sit patiently with my hands resting under my thighs, in the sheriff's office as he started gathering his belongings. He dropped a his pen three times before getting into his front pocket, shaking his head at himself before looking up.

"Alrighty Hailey, long day huh?" He states chuckling nervously and send him a tight smile. He was acting pre-cautious almost all day and it was starting to piss me off. I guess after the scene my mom pulled anyone with a heart would feel bad but I didn't need their pity. 

"Look I really don't mean to sound rude but may I please go now?" I ask giving me best fake smile. 

His eyes snapped up at my voice and for a moment he seemed to have bought it but let out a deep breath as if he were contemplating telling me something. 

I restrained from rolling my eyes.

"Hailey you're mother is definitely not capable of taking care of you and with your previous health issues in mind-" He starts and I furrow my eyebrows. 

"Previous health issues?" I ask raising my eyebrows. 

"You...I-" He started stumbling on his words "We had to do background checks and you have history with"

He doesn't continue as he just nods his head towards my wrist. And I was thankful for having worn a full sleeve shirt. 

"I'm more than capable of taking care of myself, I basically raised myself as it is" I state, at this point too psychically and emotionally exhausted to feel ashamed at his extensive knowledge of my "health". 

"I'm sorry but we can't let you go unless you have adult supervision" He says regretfully and I scoff.

"Well if you've done your research then you should know very well that my father left a long time ago and I have no other relatives to whom I can speak to and I'm going to be 18 in a month anyways so why does this matter?" I ask getting angrier. 

He stays quiet for a moment taking in everything I had said-or more, yelled at him. 

He lets out a long sigh shaking his head in disapproval.

"Are you certain there isn't anyone you can contact? I'm doing this for your own good Hailey" He says and I shake my head. 

Don't get me wrong, he seems like a really nice man in fact I think my father would have been around his age as well and it almost makes me wonder how life could have been had my father actually given a single shit about me, but no one has ever really has and now I don't need anyone. 

"I'll be fine" I say reassuringly. 

Another half hour was spent in his office as he double checked files and paper work while still trying to convince me that staying alone wasn't a good idea.

But in the end I won.

"I'll be checking in on you and your mom is most likely going to be spending a couple days at the hospital as is, so you have the house to yourself" He says walking me out to his cop car. 

The drive home was filled with silence, not exactly an awkward one but deadly. I say that because at the moment there were about a thousand little destructive thoughts going through my head.  

I've made some pretty stupid decisions in my short time of life I mean I'm the kind of girl that would eat cheetos on her wedding day and accidently wipe her hands on her dress.  

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in as I climb out of the car. 

"If you need anything, and I mean absolutely anything just give me a call alright kiddo" Officer Stilinsky says genuinely and I smile. 

"Thank you... for everything" I say walking away.

***

I lay on my bed going through the options once more. 

Leave the house and become a hobo, a stripper or better yet, bump into a really rich CEO who happens to want me and we can live happily ever after. 

I groan burying my face into my pillow and then I do something I thought I'd never do again.  

It's been 7 months. 

213 pathetic days of being apart from them. I was doing them a favour, keeping them as far away from the damage that came with knowing me. The baggage I thought I would learn to leave behind when I left, only got heavier.

My thumb nervously hovers over the name in my phone. 

I suck in a breath and press call.

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

I was just about to hang up when they answered.

"Hello?"

I could literally feel my heart skip a beat.

"Hello?" They ask again irritated.

"Ms.Reynolds" I breathe out.

"Oh god, Hailey?" She asks.

Just hearing a familiar voice was enough for the emotions to arise in me once again.

"I need help" I admit, my voice betraying me in the end.

'HONEY COME HERE NOW!" She yells for her husband

"Hailey honey where are you?" She asks softly.

I began to tell her everything, how my mom and I had left for New Jersey and she had decided it was best to not tell anyone where we were going, she just wanted to get away from everything, and then I explained the situation with William.

Jason and I had always spent a lot of time at his house and Mr and Ms.Reynolds was more of parents to me than my own. I felt so guilty leaving them behind after they had just lost their son, but I blindly went along with my mother.

"Oh god" She whispers.

"Honey?" She says and Mr.Reynolds takes the phone from her.

'Hailey we will get you out of there I promise baby, don't worry about anything okay' He says and I could hear his voice crack at the end.

Next thing I knew we were talking about getting me a plane ticket and staying with them.

It was all becoming so real and I was starting to panic.

"I'm going to have to get this approved by the police first" I state nervously and Mr.Reynolds was already asking for numbers and making phone calls.

"I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this trouble" I say feeling guilty.

"Nonsense! You're a daughter to us and I know Jason would have done anything in his power to get you home safe" She says and my heart clenches.

He would have stopped me from making the stupid decision to go with her in the first place.

"I wish you would have told us sooner" She says and I sigh.

"I thought I could handle myself" I said honestly.

"Hold on a second baby" She said.

"Yeah...Yeah okay great!"

"Hailey we got you a ticket and Steve is talking to officer right now" She says

"Thank you so so much I have no idea how I'll ever repay you" I said honestly.

We talked for a little longer going over the details for the flight and everything and then I headed upstairs to pack.

I was only half way through sorting my things when I heard a sharp knock at the door. Officer Stilinsky wasn't going to be here for another two hours and my mother would still be at the hospital with her fuckboy.

I nervously made my way towards the door with a bat in one hand and a missing heart in the other.