Chapter Twelve

After a week of constantly seeing Izzy, even if it was mainly only in the morning and on the couch at night, her absence in the apartment was still extremely noticeable. Dani seemed to be more open and care-free when Izzy was around, so now that the seven year old was back at home with her mother, her hardened exterior resurfaced.

Even though she seemed to lack emotion, she was actually beginning to talk to me more frequently. Without Izzy around on Monday morning, she clearly thought less about what she wanted to say, which surprisingly worked in my favor because it meant that I could catch a glimpse of what she was truly like.

And I truly didn't mind the real Dani Parker.

Something told me that my opinion of her was a bit stronger than just 'not minding' her company, but I refused to admit anything of the sort to myself. What good would it have done? She was quite obviously attractive; her green eyes were captivating, her rare smile was gorgeous, and her voice...

Her voice sent shivers down my spine.

But all of that was irrelevant anyway when I didn't know what I wanted, and what I wanted wouldn't have mattered anyway when I knew Brian was still very much so in my life. The texts didn't stop.

I finished restocking, tossing the last box in the cart and steering it into the aisle. Running a hand through my hair, I tilted my head against the row of shelves and breathed out. My phone in my back pocket had been going off all night, and I had only needed to read a few of the texts to know that Brian was drunk off his ass. No surprise there.

I read the few at the top of my lock screen.

I'm not fucking around Rebecca.

You're fucking making Sara upset and now I have to deal with it. Come home.

I hope you realize there are fucking consequences to your actions.

None of his texts really bothered me, that is, until the most recent one popped up on my screen and my eyes scanned over the words quickly.

I don't know where you are, but you and I both know you can't hide forever. You can play this game with Sara and I, but please understand that when you lose, there will be repercussions. Come home, Rebecca, and I promise I'll keep my hands to myself. IF you come home tonight. I'm outside.

The knowledge that Brian was outside the grocery store, assuming he wasn't lying, scared the shit out of me. It didn't bother me because I was terrified of him hurting me, but because Dani was shopping here tonight and he couldn't see me with her. She shouldn't have had a role in any of this.

A semi-familiar voice caught my attention, causing me to jump and nearly drop my phone. I looked up to see Lucy standing in front of me with her hand on her hip, smirking. She was wearing light, partially-ripped jeans with a black Sleeping with Sirens tank top, and her dark hair rested over her right shoulder. "So this is what the legendary Beca Harrison does with her free time, huh?"

I stopped myself from wincing at her words, and instead tried to focus on the fact that she was trying to joke around with me. "I know I played it off like I have a life back there at the mall, but I guess you caught me."

She smirked, making a comment that slightly contradicted what she had said to me at the mall. "Don't worry, I'm not entirely turned off. I don't know about you, but I find a bit of work ethic every now and then sexy."

I raised my eyebrow slightly. "Is that right? I guess I'm out of luck then."

"Believe me, you've got more of it than I do. I really should get a job... but then again.."

The Foster Kid (GirlxGirl)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें