Chapter Three

I got a text from Andy that afternoon telling me that her uncle would be more than willing to give me a job, in fact, he was under-staffed as it was. It wasn't guaranteed that my hours would be consistent but it was a job, and I had enough sense to take it. It was the first step in getting out of Brian's house. Max, Andy's uncle, interviewed me and sent me on my way that night, oblivious to the fact that I'd be walking home alone so late at night. I'd been on the streets before, in fact I had run away from my third foster home for a few days since it had been so bad, so I figured I would be able to handle an hour walk back home in the dark.

For once, when I returned home after my interview, I found that Brian was actually sober. I didn't know how to feel because he could be such a decent human being when there wasn't alcohol coursing through his veins. Sara didn't get home from work until late on Mondays, but Brian made me dinner and I tried to force myself to be okay around him. I knew it was only a matter of time before he started to drink, and then no matter what I did, I knew I'd be in trouble. I hated him for what he did to me every time he drank, but I knew ignoring him while he was sober would only make the beatings worse when he finally did consume alcohol, which was inevitable.

When I woke up the next day, Brian wasn't home. I readied myself and found Sara in the kitchen, and though our relationship was strained, I still preferred seeing her over Brian. This was the first time I had seen her since that morning in the hotel, and I was still sour about her leaving me to fend for myself.

"Thanks for ditching me last weekend." I couldn't hold the sarcasm in if I tried as I pulled my bag over my shoulder, shuffling past her to pull a bottle of water out of the fridge.

Her eyes lowered, and though I know she felt bad, she still didn't even try to stop him. I understood her, and I couldn't really blame her for taking the opportunity to run, but then again, I could and I did. "Beca... I'm sorry... did he.. did he hurt you?"

I simply raised my eyebrows. "Did he hurt me? What the hell do you think Sara?"

She sagged her shoulders and I almost felt bad for yelling at her, but I couldn't. She was fragile and she had that sense of innocence that couldn't be broken no matter what anyone did, even if she'd gotten re-married to an alcoholic. "Rebecca.. you know I wouldn't be able to do anything to stop him without telling your social worker, and I know you don't want me to do that.."

"Yeah well, you didn't have to adopt me in the first place."

I knew she didn't deserve to be yelled at, because it wasn't her fault that Brian hurt me, but it was kind of her fault that I was exposed to him at all.

She seemed at a loss for words, but then she shook her head. "I didn't know that he would start drinking again, Bec..."

Brian and Sara met years ago at an AA meeting, and though she was going on her third year sober, Brian certainly wasn't as intent on staying sober like she was. Ironically, the meeting they'd met at was Sara's first meeting and Brian's last, but he helped her through her financial issues and eventually she just moved in with him.

And then she convinced him to adopt me.

I just shook my head in response, sighing and running a hand through my hair. "I have to go."

"Let me drive you," she insisted, immediately grabbing her keys. I wasn't going to deny a ride to school, so I simply nodded and got into her car. I didn't mind suffering through first period and I genuinely enjoyed second period, my art class, but as I walked toward third period, I found myself growing anxious. I took a closer look at my schedule to find that the woman I'd slept with that night at the hotel actually had a name. Her last name was Parker. I regretted not asking her for her first name that night, but I couldn't go back and change it even if I wanted to.