Brother

Unedited.

My mouth was dry and my eyes were drooping from lack of sleep. The screams down here and rotten stench keep me from sleeping. Although the smell down here is appalling, it's still better than the last chamber I was being held in. I'm not quite sure how long I've been down here, but it can't be more than a few days since I'm still alive whilst having no food. They bring me a large glass of water every now and then, that's the only reason I know that they're not trying to kill me - just let me suffer.

The drops of water from a leaking pipe in the ceiling are like a ticking time clock that is not measuring patience, but whatever fight that is still buried within me. I sighed trying to ignore the throbbing pain in the left side of my head from when he threw me down and slammed the back of his foot down. He thrashed into my skull, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm suffering trauma. Is any of this even real?

I could hear soft footsteps coming my way. I didn't gather any hope, I just don't care anymore. I want to die, I wouldn't hesitate jumping in front of a bus right now. I shouldn't have to live like this. "Mark?" I turned my head slowly feeling every nerve cry in pain as I looked towards Leo. His entire face scrunched in horror. "I'm so sorry Mark, so sorry". He whispered, to which the throbbing in my head was greatly for, even if the constant screams in my mind wouldn't stop.

"I called for you". Tears were running down my face out of my swollen eyes. "You didn't come". My voice broke. He apologized profoundly, but it couldn't cure the pain that I felt. I passed out, again, except this time from emotional pain, not physical.

I woke up naked, in a bathtub, with Dante washing me. Why is he of all people bathing me? "Stay still", he demanded. I followed his command. The water burned my cuts, but I loved it. At least I knew that I wouldn't get an infection or have to deal with the pain of dry cracking blood.

"Thank you", I whispered. I don't think he heard, because he didn't respond. Leo walked in, all of Dante's attention focused on him, and Leo continuously stared at me. Is he okay? Dante broke his focus from Leo and started to bathe me once again, but it felt like his scrubbing got harsher. Leo kissed my forehead and left the room. I could see Dante grit his teeth, is he jealous?

"I don't have any feelings for your brother, if you were wondering". I felt like I had to make that clear. I don't want him to hate me and make my life any more miserable than it is.

"I wasn't".

"Then why-"

"Look, he's not my brother, and you don't get to ask any questions". I shut my mouth knowing my place. If he's not his brother, then why does Leo call him that? "You will put on clothes and accompany Leo and Jerome downstairs".

"Who is Jerome?"

"The man that bought you". I didn't question anymore not wanting to have to speak about that vile man.

"Is there something I will have to do?"

"Look pretty for our guest". Guest? Who?

-----

Now I wonder who the guest is? Hmmmm .....