First Real Kiss

AMBER'S POV

I never actually loved putting on my seatbelt, only at that instant, I felt relieved that I wore the annoying contraption.  The strap cuts the circulation off between my sweaty breasts.  I could barely breathe, feeling lightheaded from carbon dioxide and fumes.   Statistics say that airbags are for safety and are supposed to feel like a soft pillow to land on when in an accident.  I’m certain if I slammed my head against a brick wall, it would’ve felt like a cloud compared to this half deflated air bag.

The headache throbbed behind my eyes and for some reason, I couldn’t quit imagining about this song that I just knew the chorus to.  As if forgetting my humanity, I recalled that there was somebody else in the car. Tim.  I felt something warm trickle down my face.  The windshield was shattered and shards of broken glass were broken up all over the vehicle, and embedded in my bare skin.

“Tim? Are you ok?” My voice rasped.

I couldn’t move my body.  I felt frozen.  I felt so weak and dizzy.  I willed my eyes to swivel to my right, to give myself some comfort that I didn’t just kill my potential boyfriend.  Unfortunately, the lone thing I could picture was this blasted, plasticity smelling, strong as steel airbag.  My neck felt sore from the impact.

“Amber, why are you narrating everything out loud?  It isn’t that bad and the windshield is just cracked,” Tim said.

“I figure if I exaggerated things a little, then you would see how bad things could have been,” I said.

“I’m a vampire. I’m invincible.  And, things couldn’t get worse.”

“What about me?” I scoffed.

“What about you?”

“I mean-, what about me?”

“I know you’re a car killer!”

“I am NOT!”

“We need to get out of the car before it catches on fire.”

“You said it wasn’t that bad!” I yelled.

“The car is smoking!”

“What if I really was hurt?”

Tim laughed evilly, “And what if you kept your eyes on the road and didn’t hit that tree?”

“You can’t just dump something like that on someone, especially when they’re driving.”

“You mean you don’t know how to drive?”

“That’s not what I said-,” I was cut off.

“Amber, we really need to get out of the car.  It will catch on fire and I don’t want to burn to death.”

“I thought you said that you couldn’t die.”

“And I thought you could drive.  Perhaps we all have too high of expectations.  I’ll lower the bar if you just get out of this damn vehicle.”

“I can drive!”

“You could’ve fooled me.”

Tim easily got out of his side of the car.  He looked so cool.  His hair was messy from him not brushing it.  It still looked shiny, it was probably greasy from not being washed, but he made it look sexy.  The only thing that looked out of place was the color of his eyes.  His eyes were jet black.  He stopped smiling and seemed more on edge.

“Tim, is everything ok? You don’t seem like yourself.”

“You just totaled my car.”

““Let’s just move along from that subject.  I mean-, there’s something different about you.”