Chapter Five- I Flashed a Stranger

"This is crazy, absolutely crazy." Mr.Smit calmly says, folding his hands in his lap as he stares at us. "You three can't seriously be considering this." We all just shrug our shoulders. We're going on this road trip, with or without their support.

"Dad, its just Chicago!" Mary Anne argues, "It's not like we're going to California!" Mary Anne throws her hands in the air with frustration. Mr.Smit's mouth forms a thin line, his eyebrows squeezed together in irritation as the wrinkles on his forehead collided.

"I just don't know, bug." He mumbles, his eyes sliding away from us, instead focusing on his sock covered feet. "What if you ladies run out of gas in Ohio?" Concern for us and our adventure seeps into his tone, he only wants what's best for us.

"We'll be fine, Daddy." Mary Anne quietly says, bending over and delivering a quick peck on her father's cheek. "I love you and I'll see you soon."

We had decided not to tell our parents (grandparents in my case) that we were leaving until we were ready to go. If we told them sooner, they would have the opportunity to stop us. I need to do this.

Everyone had gigantic bags that they had packed full. Our bags just barely fit in the trunk. We put a cooler in the backseat filled with water and soda, along with a paper bags full of chips. As the current shotgun rider, I was in charge of mapping. Tessa didn't have a GPS, so we were doing it the old fashioned way. I could already see the future- us getting lost.

"WOHOO!" Tessa enthusiastically hollers as she shoves the key into the ignition. I flip the AC on and then the radio, allowing pop music to flood through the speakers. Tessa had them specially installed; the car didn't originally come with them. It's an old vehicle.

"I can't believe I just defied my parents like that." Mary Anne quietly says, clutching her chest in a mild sort of panic. I craned my neck around to get a good glance of her in the backseat. Rolling my eyes, I chuckle.

"Live a little." I chide, reaching my hand back I give her a soft swat on the knee. She childishly sticks her tongue out at me and leans far back into her seat, crossing her hands over her chest.

"Okay. Elle, were too?" Tessa asks, her eyes flitting from the road to me.

"Hit the highway." I tell her, turning around in my seat, I plop my feet onto the dashboard, quickly making myself comfortable.

"This is going to be a very long car ride." Mary Anne mumbles from the backseat.

"Think of it as bonding time." I smartly say, an amused smile slipping onto my face. I turn my head towards the window, watching as Virginia flies by in a blur.

"I'm bored already." Mary Anne mumbles, even though I can hear the smile in her voice. I glance into the rearview mirror at her, shaking my head and laughing as I see her passed out against the back seat. I suppose, it is 5 in the morning.

"She's sleeping." I say, leaning forward a little to turn the radio up a bit more.

"So you turn the radio up?" Tessa questions, an eyebrow shooting up as she does. .Her foot slowly presses down on the break as we reach a stoplight. I brush off her comment and carry on to give her the next set of instructions.

"You need to take Exit 23." I tell her, my eyes examining the map as I trace a route. "And then you need to go through town and take the highway on the other side." Tessa nods in understanding. "We stay on that highway for..." I drag my finger along the highway as I search for a map key. "about 150 miles." I glance at Tessa's speedometer.

"Okay, Tessa, I love you dearly, but we are never going to get anywhere if you don't go faster than 55." She glares at me and then continues to press down on the gas.