Chapter Thirty-One

"It's picking yourself up off the ground, when you've been knocked down. We carry on when our lives come undone. We carry on cause there's promise in the morning sun. We carry on as the dark surrenders to the dawn. We are born to overcome. We carry on." Tim McGraw 'We Carry On'

Laura felt as if her nervous stomach was going to eat a hole straight through her as she stood in front of her fathers house two hours later. Her mind kept racing with all the possible directions the next conversation could take. With Braxton right behind her, it could end with flying fists and jail time. She had no doubts that with the way she had cried the last time and the mood that Braxton was already in today, if Claire pushed him too far he would snap and probably hit a woman for the first time in his life.

Laura had left Audrey with Missy and Doc Carter and she had told Braxton to stay there as well but he had laughed at her come along anyway. She couldn't blame the man; there was no way she would let him face any of his family alone either.

She took a deep breath as she looked at the heavy front door. She didn't really care if she spoke to Claire at all. She had said all she had to say to the woman back in that small Texas cattle town and Claire had made it clear that she had no wish to be Laura's mother. But Laura needed to speak to her pa. She was sure that Claire had told him about the talk they'd had and she needed to reassure the man that she still saw him as her father. Blood or no blood. And she wanted a relationship with him if he would swallow his old hates and pride and accept Braxton in her life. And if he wouldn't do that….. Well she would always have the man who was currently standing behind her and looking ready to take on the world with his bare hands if it didn't do what she wanted.

"Are you gonna knock or are we gonna stand here and stare at that god awful green door all day?" Braxton asked as he gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. Laura gave him a warning glare and then she rapped lightly at the door. It was thrown open quickly as if Juanita had known they were standing there and had been waiting for the first sign of a knock.

"Miss Laura! It's so good to see you back!" she exclaimed as she threw her arms around Laura's neck. Laura hugged her back and then pulled away quickly.

"I was told that I should come speak with my father."

"Si!" Juanita agreed with a empathetic nod. "Your mama and papa are eager to speak with you."

"I'll bet they are." Braxton grumbled and then he let out a whoosh of air as Laura's elbow connected soundly with his gut. He mumbled something unintelligible under breath as he rubbed his stomach and Laura would have laughed if her own stomach hadn't been tied in knots.

"Where are they?" she asked and Juanita stepped aside.

"In your papa's office." she replied. Laura nodded and stepped into the house. She was aware of Braxton's big boots sounding on the floor behind her as he followed her back to the office.

"Laura." her parents said in unison as she and Braxton entered the room. Laura walked past her mother without acknowledging her presence and went straight to her father. He stood from his desk and Laura threw her arms around his neck.

"I love you, papa." she whispered as she fought back the rising emotion in her chest. She felt his arms tighten around her.

"I love you too, Laura. I feel like I should explain….." Laura pulled away and shook her head as she pushed her hair behind her ears.

"You don't have to explain anything. You are my father. You're the only one I know and the only one I need." she said and she saw her father's shoulders sag with relief as his blue eyes filled with love.

"I'm sorry for everything I've said to you since Braxton came back to town." he admitted and he looked over Laura's head at Braxton. The young man looked every inch of an able bodyguard as he stood in the doorway with his arms crossed over his broad chest. A man had to be big enough to admit when he was wrong and Maynard had been wrong about Braxton. That man clearly loved his daughter and he was a good man. Maynard had no doubts that Braxton would provide for his daughter and keep her safe.