Chapter Twenty-Two

The insistent mooing of Fanny woke Braxton up with the dawn the next morning. He cracked his eyelids and looked over at the annoying creature tied to the wagon and pulling on her little satin restraint for all she was worth trying to get to Laura.

“Sweetheart, the babies awake and I believe she’s hungry.” Braxton whispered with a groan as he curled back up against Laura. Laura groaned as well and buried her face in his chest.

“Can you feed her, I’m awfully tired.” Braxton shook his head.

“Nope. You wanted the cow, you get to feed her. I have to have some dignity left around the men.”

“You poor thing.” Laura said dryly as she sat up and stretched her arms.

“Shut your damn cow up before I shoot it!” Worm yelled angrily from twenty feet away.

“Speak to my woman that way again and you won’t be in any shape to shoot anything.” Braxton warned. Laura elbowed him in the gut and he let out a rush of air as he chuckled and sat up.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“Temper.” she scolded and he shrugged.

“I don’t like him.” Laura shook her head as she stood up and then reached down for Braxton’s hand. He looked amused as he took her hand and instead of allowing her to pull him to his feet, he pulled her back down in his lap and kissed her soundly.

“What was that for?” she asked breathlessly once he pulled his mouth away.

“Just because.” he replied with a shrug as he rose to his feet with her still held in his arms. She was shocked by his strength and power.

“Do I get a bath today?”

“What kind of man would I be if I told the birthday girl no?” he asked with a grin.

“A bad man.. A very bad man.” she said as seriously as she could manage.

“Then a bath you shall have ma’am.” he replied as he sat her down on her feet. “Now feed your cow before somebody decides that steak sounds good for dinner.” he added as he swatted her on the backside. Laura squealed and pointed her finger warningly at him before walking away as his laughter filled the air.

888

Laura took a long drink from her nearly empty canteen and looked up at the blazing sun. She glanced over at Braxton and saw him wipe his sweaty mouth on his shirt sleeve.

“When are we going to reach that town?” she asked and he sighed.

“Shouldn’t be too much longer. We’ll be there by sundown.” he promised. Laura nodded and then she let out an irritated sigh when one of the cows broke from the herd and took off toward the sparse woods.

“I’ll get her.” she said and hurried her mare after the horse. She circled around the cow and clicked her tongue.

“Come on you stubborn beast, let’s get back with your little cow friends. I’m ready for a bath and a night in a bed with my man and you are slowing us down.” The cow mooed stubbornly and tried to get around her. Laura let out a yell and clapped her hands loudly.

“Get going you ugly, flea bitten beast! I’ll trample you the same way you probably did me in that river.” The cow finally gave up her fight and turned back toward the herd. Laura felt a shiver run down her spine and suddenly she was certain there were eyes watching her from the trees behind her. She turned in the saddle and looked into the forest but she couldn’t see anyone. The uneasiness simply increased and she urged her mare and the cow more quickly toward the herd.