Chapter Nine

"I move on like a sinners prayer. Let go like a levy breaks. Walk away as if I don't care. Learn to shoulder my mistakes. I'm built to fade like your favorite song. I get reckless when there's no need. Laugh as your stories ramble on. Break my heart but it won't bleed. My only friends are pirates, that's just who I am. I'm better as a memory than as your man. I'm never sure when the truth won't due. I'm pretty good on a lonely night. I move on the way a storm blows through. I never stay but then again I might. I struggle sometimes to find the words. Always sure until I doubt. I walk a line until it blurs, built walls to high to climb out. But I'm honest to a fault. That's just who I am... And i'm better as a memory then as your man." Kenny Chesney 'Better as a memory'

"He didn't do this and you know he didn't!" Braxton was awakened from sleep by Doc Carter's loud angry voice coming from the main room of the jail.

"I don't think he did it either doc but Maynard said he did and Laura was too distraught to offer her side…."

"Bullshit." Doc Carter said and Braxton's eyes widened. The man had to be very angry to use that kind of language. "Have you notified his family that he's in here?"

"Not yet, he's only been here a few hours. I was going to go over and see if I can talk to Laura yet. There ain't no need to let his family know what's going on if it's nothing."

"Of course it's nothing."

"I'm sure you're right doc. I'll be back after a while." Braxton heard the sheriff leave the jail and he rose from his cot when he heard Doc Carter's footsteps coming down the long hallway toward his cell.

"Hey there doc. How are you and Missy doing tonight?"

"Thankfully Missy don't have a clue what's going on. She's back at home and sound asleep. I was out to Graces to give her her husbands meds for the night because he had a bad spell and she told me that Nicholas had come and hauled you away from the diner."

"I didn't do nothing doc." Braxton promised and Doc Carter waved his hand.

"I know you didn't."

"I kissed her and I would like to do it again but I damn sure didn't try to rape the woman."

"I believe you." Doc Carter said with a nod. "And just as soon as Nicholas talks to Laura you'll be outta here."

888

"Mr. Greene, I cannot continue to hold Braxton unless you're daughter verifies what happened. Now if I still can't speak to her then I'll have to release him until she can come down and file a complaint." Nicholas said impatiently as he stood on Maynard Greene's porch. He found it odd that he wasn't even allowed to enter the house.

"You can't let that monster go. My poor daughter refuses to talk to anyone about what happened because she's too traumatized. Have you told the McAvery's about Braxton's crimes?"

"Unless I can talk to Laura, I can't be certain any crime took place." Nicholas replied. Maynard's face reddened with anger. He wanted the McAvery's to hear about this. They wouldn't wait to hear any other sides to the story or give Braxton the benefit of the doubt. They would run him out of town and Maynard would never have to worry about the man coming near his daughter again.

"If you let that monster go you had better let his family know what he's done so they can help to control him!" Maynard exclaimed.

"You let me know when Laura is willing to talk to me." Nicholas said and then he turned and walked away. He headed back toward the jail in the dark with an odd feeling in the pit of his stomach. Something wasn't right about Maynard Greene.