Chapter Five

“When I do something great, no one ever seems to remember, but when I do something wrong, no one can ever seem to forget.”

“How dare you not tell me that Braxton was back in town!” Laura exclaimed to her uncle as she stepped over broken table legs in his saloon. She couldn’t quite believe that one man had done all this damage but he had been the only man put in jail over it according to sheriff Kingston.

“I didn’t think it would interest you, Laura, and if you haven’t noticed I’m kind of busy trying to clean up the mess he made.” Laurence replied as he wiped the sweat from his brow and sat the crate of broken glass on the bar.

“You of all people know that it would interest me.” she reminded her uncle as she began stacking broken pieces of wood in a pile.

“Be careful. All I need is for you to get a splinter or something and have your father come down here and threaten me with the law.” Laura looked at her mothers older brother and sighed.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because your pa told me not to. He said he doesn’t want you worrying about that Braxton and I have to agree with him. That man is nothing but trouble.”

“Pa wants me to marry Lucas.” Laura reminded him and Laurence made a face and tossed a broken bottle extra hard into the crate.

“I’d rather you marry Braxton.”

“I’m not in a hurry to marry anyone.” Laura replied matter of factly, despite the fact that her heart sped up a couple of beats per minute at his words. Laurence nodded.

“I know. And it’s a good thing too since you’re nearly thirty and still not married. Men want a young woman to make their wife not an old maid.” his tone was teasing but it struck a nerve. What was so wrong with a woman choosing to not marry just anybody and become a little baby making housewife. She wanted to travel. She wanted to roam and sleep under the stars. She wanted to take her dresses to fancy dress shops and watch the clerks get excited.

She would never get to do those things though. Her papa had made sure that every train and stagecoach for miles knew just what she looked like and she was not allowed to board for any trips without her father by her side. He couldn’t risk her running away and never coming back the way her mother had.

“You should round up some of the men that destroyed this place and get them to help clean it.” she said with a sigh as she looked around the messy saloon.

“Go talk to Braxton and get him over here.” Laurence replied with a growl. Laura put her hands on her hips and shook her head.

“No. He wasn’t the only one who fought in here that night and he is the only one that ended up spending the night in jail because of it.” Laurence gave her a sheepish grin and then went back to picking up glass and avoiding her gaze as his mustache twitched with held back laughter.

“He might have had a little help but he deserved that night at jail for all the hell he’s caused ‘round here every time he shows up.”

“Yes because I’m sure you’ve never raised hell a day in your life.” Laura replied dryly and Laurence’s head snapped up and he pointed a finger at her.

“You better watch your language.” he scolded and she made a face.

“Like you said before, I’m almost thirty years old so I think I can say whatever I want.” He shook his head and walked around the bar to grab the broom.