Chapter Twenty-Nine

"You see the road you leave behind ya, is another road you're gonna have to come back down. It's just the way this big old world turns 'round. You'll find; somehow, someway, someday, sometime, you gotta go back down the road you leave behind." David Lee Murphey 'The road you leave behind'

She moved through the shadows of the dark street, careful to avoid being seen. Though the night was black and the streets were empty, it would only take one set of eyes spying her and she would be given away. She pulled her black cloak tighter around herself, keeping the hood over her head and face.

She stopped on the street before the large house and stared up at its foreboding presence. Dare she knock? The man who lived here would more than likely shoot her before asking any questions about why she was here. She swallowed hard. She had to knock. She had been being a coward for far long enough and it was time to own up to her mistakes and do what she could to make them right.

She took a deep breath and stepped up on the porch. Her fist paused for several moments above the bright green doors before she finally gave three sharp knocks. It was such a late hour she would be lucky if anyone answered, but she had seen a light on in the house so hopefully he would be awake.

The door opened moments later and she looked at the unfamiliar, short Mexican woman that had answered the door. The woman's eyes widened with fear and she realized she still had her hood over her head. She pushed it back and smoothed her hand over her hair.

"It is late for visitors." the Mexican woman said. "What is it that you want here?"

"I need to speak with Maynard Greene, I am assuming he lives here?"

"Yes ma'am." the Mexican replied as her eyes narrowed. "But he is not available to speak right now."

"I need to speak with him!" she said as she tried to push her way past the annoying servant.

"No! He is not available!" the Mexican exclaimed as she held her back.

"For chrissake, Juanita, who the hell is it?" Maynard's familiar voice bellowed and when he came around the corner and stood in front of the door, his blue eyes widened. His legs seemed to buckle beneath him and he grabbed the doorframe for support as he looked over Juanita's head.

"Claire?" he gasped and she forced a humorless smile to her face, though her lips were trembling.

"Hello, Maynard. We need to talk."

It took several long minutes for Maynard's mind to regain the ability to function and still yet his mouth refused to form words as it worked up and down.

"Are you quite alright or do I need to go get doctor Carter?" Claire asked as she reached inside her cloak to find a cigarette and matches. Her words seemed to snap Maynard out of the trance her appearance had put him in. He gave Juanita a sharp glance as she looked back and forth between he and Claire.

"Don't you have something you could be doing?" he demanded and she nodded and quickly sped from the entryway. "Claire, what are you doing here? I had assumed you were dead." he said as he looked back at his wife. Claire was shocked by how old Maynard had gotten since she'd last seen him. His stomach had grown and his hair was all gray now. His jaw was soft and his skin wrinkled, though his blue eyes looked the same as she remembered.

"I am very much alive." she assured him. "Can I come in or not?" For a moment she knew that Maynard was contemplating telling her no but then he sighed and moved aside to let her in.

"My office. I assume you still know where that is." he said shortly and Claire nodded and walked through the entryway and into his brightly lit office. Bookshelves full of dust books and bronze knick knacks filled the space and his large cherry wood desk was covered in folders and papers. Claire watched him walk around his desk. His dress shirt was untucked and his hair was a mess. He had tired circles around his eyes as he sat down and motioned for her to do the same.