Chapter Seven

"Some people judge ya by the way you look, they see you once and say you ain't no good. Seems like they're never gonna take you for who you are. That's when you have to stand up and be strong and go the extra mile to prove them all wrong. Just remember when they push you way too far... You gotta kick a little and cause a stir. Sometimes you gotta make some noise to be heard, if anybody ever tries to hold you back. You gotta kick a little and be tough. Gotta let em know you've had enough. Remember that unless you wanna finish last, you gotta kick a little..." Little Texas "Kick a little"

"Excuse me sir, but you're laying on my bench." Laura said with a grin as she looked down at the long, lean, broad shouldered body currently laying on the bench in front of the hotel. His hat was on his face but she knew it was Braxton. Never again would she not recognize those legs. He had the longest set of anyone she knew.

"Excuse me, ma'am, but I didn't see nobodies name on it before I laid down."

"Yes well you never were much of a reader." She heard laughter come from beneath the hat and then he was swinging his legs, sitting up and slipping his hat back on all in one fluid motion. He patted the bench.

"Have a seat then." he said. Laura sat down and tried to ignore the way her heart sped up at his proximity. God but he was handsome and the last six years had only increased his handsomeness and given him a rugged quality that most men around here lacked. He was clearly the type of man who could handle himself in pretty much any situation, but then again Braxton had always been good at handling himself.

"I'm surprised to see you alone this morning." she said as she looked up and down the road for any sign of Bradley, Brandon or Edmund. Braxton nodded.

"Me too. I guess my keepers got bored." Then the happy look left his gray eyes and he stared down at his boots. "Brandon and I had words yesterday so I'd say that's why he's not here. Pa is too sick to be running into town every morning to make sure I'm not shaming his name and Bradley… Well Bradley just sees me as an annoying pest and not worthy of everyone's concerns."

"It hasn't gotten any better?" Laura asked softly. Things had always been rough between Braxton and his family but Laura had kind of hoped that they would be getting better.

"Nope. But that's nothing new and nothing you need to be worried about." he replied quickly with a smile. "What kinda sketches you got in the book there?" he asked as he held his hand out for it. Laura hugged it closer to her side.

"Mostly just dresses." she replied.

"I wanna see." he urged. She shook her head.

"No you don't." she replied. She was so used to the men in her family not supporting her that she found it hard to believe that anyone would truly be interested. Braxton nodded.

"Yes I do." he said. "I still have that picture you drew me of that horse… I guess it's been sixteen years ago now? I want to see if you've gotten any better since then."

"You still have that?" she exclaimed with surprise. "I don't believe you." Braxton grinned and stood up. Laura tried to keep herself from watching him too closely as he dug into the pocket of his work stained denims and pulled out a worn piece of folded leather. Laura frowned as he sat back down and held the leather out to her.

She sat her sketchbook on the bench between them and took the folded leather from him. She untied the strings holding it closed and then opened the folds. She felt tears burning her eyes when she realized that yes he had indeed kept that poorly sketched drawing she had done at the age of twelve. It was very poorly drawn, she had only been getting started back then and it was faded and worn. She could see dirt smudged fingerprints on the paper as if he had folded and unfolded it many times.