Chapter 7: Get dressed

"Merlin, I need clothes. Where do you keep it?" Arthur demanded loudly as he entered the living room completely soaked from Merlin's cold shower. Merlin threw a look at him and almost flew through the air due to Arthur's utter nudeness.

"Jeez, Arthur, will you please get dressed!"

"I would if I had any clothes which weren't soaked. And what's the matter? You've seen me like this hundreds of times before." Arthur replied naturally.

"Well there's a different between standing in castle with servants and in a friends flat butt naked."

"What?"

"Those who are nosy enough to look in through the windows will definitely begin to talk. . . a lot" A long pause made it clear to Merlin that Arthur was used to a different setting of privacy rules, unlike now where everybody seemed nosy and wanted the latest gossip. "Today's people are still . . . coping with each other's . . . statuses." Just putting the words together was utterly strange and awkward.

"What does that even mean? I'm their king, I outrank most people what is there to cope with?"

"That's not quite what I meant. How should I put this. Back in Camelot you loved women, but today . . . people are a lot more curious if it seems like you – a man – loves . . ."

"Are you saying—"

"Some-people-might-think-you're-gay, yeah." Merlin said faster than he ever thought possible. There was a slight pause. Arthur was still standing completly buttfree.

"Why would some think that of their king?"

"Because right now you're not a king."

Arthur had to taste the words before he completely understood them and took a pillow from the couch to hide his vital parts. Merlin, who was tired of Arthur's nakedness, went to his bedroom and withdrew the trousers and the Camelot red shirt he had bought the day before. After being Arthur's manservant Merlin knew the exact size Arthur used in clothes. He tossed the clothes to Arthur who slowly went from the living room to the bedroom. When he returned dressed he turned to his friend again.

"Merlin. I feel this current year have made me old and unknown to its customs and habits. I was wondering if you would help me being familiar to it." Merlin smiled at his kind question, because he did seem quite down and sad.

"Of course." His blue eyes lighted up with gratitude. "But it's not going to be easy. And we'll start in tiny bits. Oof, like bad breath for a start." Arthur frowned at his friend, but at the end of the day he'd learned about the toothbrush and toothpaste, that he shouldn't eat it.

"You'll get sick if you do."

"But your magic can cure me right?"

Slowly as the hours went by Arthur got used to it and that evening the former king felt his stomach growl as he hadn't been eating for two days now. For a thoughtful reason Merlin decided Arthur should wait to cook a nice chicken.