Chapter 2: That Went Well

The following foggy Saturday morning, Emrys looked over Avalon. Today was not the day either, he sighed. Oh God all mighty he missed that dollop head. It was nearly 2500 years ago since Arthur had died in his arms. He smiled at the thought of Freya watching over him in the lake, certain she would know when to wake him up. Many things had happened since then and it took him a couple of hundred years to understand he was immortal. You would have thought that he would live in the forest or something, but no, Emrys missed the sound of being busy, the footsteps in the hallways, and the constant talking and occasionally Gaius’ snoring. Emrys had managed to make an almost look alike flat, which looked almost identically to Gaius’s and his chambers at Camelot those 2500 years ago. He missed his friends so much. He had a lonely life, well nearly. Once a week Emrys would wander off and keep an eye out for the girl Jenny Wood, just to make sure she was all right. The girl did not have clue of who he was, but he knew who she were, even though she might not know. Now and then he felt the magic in the city and by that said he knew he was not alone.

Emrys wandered off. Time to get home, he said to himself. Emrys reached the road when a sort of vague sound of splashing in the water appeared and he looked back.

 “Help…” a voice cried. Emrys waited a minute before realizing, that voice he surely had heard a billion times.

He couldn’t believe it!

Help!” the familiar voice cried out again. It was Arthur’s voice. The splashing continued. Using his magic Emrys sent out a boat that – nearly run Arthur over – Arthur could climb aboard and sail to the coast where Emrys was waiting. It took him sometime before he was actual sat in it and when the boat were heading back again it made Arthur fell over because of the powerful pull.

Emrys greeted him, “Arthur!” Arthur’s eyes got big when he looked upon the sorcerer he had met so many times before.

“What are you doing here?” he exclaimed and took a step back and almost tripped over the boat; again.

“I’m just saving your life, dollop head.”

“What? You mean to say that you send out the boat?”

“Thick as a brick are we?” Emrys insulted and stood firm and confident, as he always did in this form.

“How dare you!” Arthur exclaimed and reached for his sword but it was not there. He looked round hoping it was lying somewhere but it wasn’t. Finally Emrys managed to get Arthur with him, simply by looking at him with his once usual overlooking-look and turned his back when he did not answer his friend what he had done with his sword. Emrys gripped Arthur’s shoulder. His eyes turned golden and whirlwind appeared, swirling around them and when they looked round they found themselves no longer at the lake, Avalon, but in the busy streets of London. On the way there was a certain amount of pointing fingers and raised eyebrows at the surroundings.

At last they reached the flat; all the way back Arthur had been confused, bewildered and for once: mute. Now and then he had pointed at cars and referred to them as horseless carriages. Emrys had just stopped explaining, because when he did Arthur did not believe him and blamed sorcery in the end anyway.

When they entered Emrys’ flat, Arthur look around as if had woken from a weird dream. “Oh, finally a place I know, where’s Gaius?”

“He’s not here,” Emrys said with his old-man hoarse voice.

“What do you mean, ‘not here’? Of course Gaius’s here.” And he called out Gaius’ name, but to no surprise there was no answer. After a while of shouting Gaius’ name without an answer, Emrys finally exclaimed: “Will you please shut up for a minute or two and listen to me, you dollop head! Gaius isn’t here anymore, no one except you and me. This is not the world as you remember, Arthur. The world’s changed.”