Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Upbeat, Mandy took her time getting dressed and eating the space Twinkies. After a night with Akkadi, even the foam bars tasted good.

She started towards Helen’s quarters right when the inevitable summons came.

“Helen requests you come to her quarters,” the guard issued.

Alone in the hallway, Mandy looked behind her. No guard with hands like bricks waited behind her to send her back to the infirmary.

She shuddered at the memory. She hadn’t told Cesar to watch out for the psycho Naki and made a mental note to seek him out before the end of the day.

Mandy arrived at the Naki queen’s quarters. The guards motioned her to enter, and she stepped through the panel.

Helen appeared distracted, and Mandy sensed some sort of tension upon setting foot in the apartment. Hichele was there as well, her sharp gaze waiting to see what Mandy did.

Mandy made a face at her and went to her wall. Hichele’s gasp made her smile. After what Hichele did, she’d never, ever bow to the Naki bitch again. It was probably not what Hichele expected after the beat down.

“How are you, Mandy?” Helen asked.

Mandy offered the best bow she could to the Naki queen.

“I am well, thank you,” she replied.

“My son Vekko is in the healer’s ward.”

“Really? Why?” she asked curiously.

“He was injured during the trip he and Akkadi took.” Helen’s concern was clear in her blue eyes. “He will be well in a few days. We have the best healers in the galaxy but I still worry.”

Suddenly, Mandy understood Akkadi’s brittle mood the night before. Something bad had happened, and his cousin was hurt. Akkadi was too honorable not to feel responsible.

“I’m so sorry to hear that,” she said softly, wishing she’d known before this. She felt bad for Akkadi. She’s unknowingly offered him some kind of comfort, even if it was something as simple as physical release. She was proud of herself for not allowing his mood to drive her away. Recalling their night, her body grew warm from the inside out.

“Hichele’s betrothal ceremony is in two days. You will meet the rest of the family,” Helen said, turning to the Naki woman.

God, I hate her. Mandy barely kept from spitting the words out loud. Pregnant with another man’s child, Hichele was still able to get a pass into Helen’s family.

What if Mandy didn’t get home and she was stuck here, with one of the Naki princes? After last night, would Akkadi consider her, if going home became impossible?

Mandy didn’t let herself think too hard on it, afraid to face the option that either she never went home or that Akkadi still might not want her. The connection she’d experienced since meeting him only grew stronger last night in his arms, where he made love to her with passion she didn’t think him capable of. Helen’s words drew Mandy’s attention.

“We are going to a briefing about the energy shortage status.”

Helen’s words drew Mandy’s attention. She roused herself and pushed away from the wall, trailing them to the door.

“There will be no shortage after I am wed,” Hichele proclaimed. “I will have saved the empire.”

“For which we will be grateful.”