Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Mandy stood where she was until long after Akkadi left. A few times when they interacted, she thought she saw something in his gaze, something human that emerged from beneath the cold façade. When he kissed her, she knew he was capable of the type of passion she’d only dreamed of. His hands had explored her body in an unmistakable sign that he was interested, and his dick had been hard and thick against her belly.

And then … nothing. He simply stopped. Walked away. Tried to shrug it off.

Anger replaced her surprise. What kind of man walked away from her? She’d never had to fling herself at any man’s feet. Now, when she did, he rejected her and walked out, calm as could be.

“What a royal jackass!” she all but shouted. Her thoughts were scattered from the intensity of his kisses.

Was that his purpose? To show her he could kiss her like that and walk away? That he was in control of the situation?

“Play his damned games, Mandy. He’s a means to an end,” she reminded herself. “Makes it easier to leave his ass when this is over.”

Why was she disappointed, aside from being beyond turned on and dumped just when things were getting hot? She shook her head, agitated.

She’d never misjudged a man as she did Akkadi. She thought for certain she would touch the human side of him in bed. He was intently fascinated with her body but tried hard not to show it. She knew there was more to him, and it bothered her that he kept himself hidden.

Like she really was a business deal. Or maybe it was exactly as Akkadi said: their race had managed to rise above pleasure to view their world in boring black and white.

What use was being alive if they didn’t let themselves feel anything?

Mandy paced then let out a frustrated growl. Furious, she flung herself down in his bed.

Had she rushed him? Maybe he made the agreement but wasn’t ready for her. Then why the barb about not being aroused when she touched his arousal?

Akkadi’s scent from the sheets crept into her nose. It was rich, warm and spicy – the opposite of the man. The connection she experienced on the planet grew into lust in his arms. His body was perfect: lean, strong, masculine with thick thighs and biceps and a roped chest and back. She had never slept with anyone with such a sexy a body or dated someone whose scent snagged her attention and left her yearning for him.

Thank god he’s a jackass.

She rolled onto her stomach and gazed at her forearms. She didn’t notice the stinging welts when Akkadi touched her. Now that her fire was quieting, she began to feel them again. They were like her emotions: angry.

He rejected her. What if he changed his mind? Fear grew within her, and she quickly capped it. She knew how to get home and who could send her there. All she had to do was wait it out and find a way to reel him in.

She took a few deep breaths to quell her panic and closed her eyes, trying to focus on the positive. She drifted asleep, a dream soon filling the darkness of her mind.

“This isn’t right,” the guy in the seat by the window said.

Mandy glanced up from her smart phone. She had no signal despite the plane touching down and taxiing down the runway. Silently cursing the phone, she leaned forward to see what he was looking at.